Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Switch Panel.. Distro Block.. Warn Booster Kit

Storm

Got those in this weekend.. Next weekend is DiPricol Gauges and Stacks.. I did some wire clean up but until next weekend, I'll pull the ISSPRO Gauges out and the boxes so it'll clean up ALOT.. The switches are Carlings, built a custom wire harness. I didn't want to put upfitters in because, well I want to be different.. I'm working on legends right now, from left to right.. 1st is High Idle, 2nd is KC Lights, 3rd will be Air Compressor when I get it in..

I used an 80amp Relay circuit tied to a key on for energize, pulls power from the Battery and sends it to a 6 fuse distro block that I got at Boaters World.. They generally get used on boats.. I love it.. Having a little issue right now, ever so often the switches dont work then they do.. I dont' have my volt meter so I can't test the leads when it happens (at home in the garage).. The high idle is REALLY nice now :)

Oh the switches are not crooked, its my freaking TPMS monitor.. I was tired and just slapped double sided tape to it and put it on.. Didn't notice it was crooked lol..

switchbooster_001.jpg

switchbooster_002.jpg

switchbooster_003.jpg

switchbooster_004.jpg

switchbooster_005.jpg

switchbooster_006.jpg

The duct tape was a joke to another guy somewhere who uses duct tape for everything.. However I found out he sold his SD and bought a BabyFreight for hauling his RV.. I'm going to make a nylon strap with a grommet and use it.. That wire crap they put on cuts your damn hands! I like the cable tho.. No more having to pop my hood to jump someone..

Storm

Its on my brush guard, passenger side between my center and passenger side KC light.. Then its routed under the front grill, up the side of the Cooler, through a rubber mat, along the A/C line and to the passenger battery..

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
VERY nicely done Storm. Lookin' good!!

I didn't want to put upfitters in because, well I want to be different.
You're already WAY different!! smilietease

No more having to pop my hood to jump someone..
I SO need to put these in on mine. You think it's hard to pop the hood to jump? Try having to climb in the bed and undo the battery box covers everytime! I never used to jump until I moved the damned batteries.

Storm

None of the Super Duties do.. Other then where mine are if you dont have ESOF.. Which is rare.. I don't see very many SD's with a manual transfer case.. Most are all ESOF..

One of the reasons I jumped on mine.. I hate ESOF.. too much crap to break.. I rather get out and lock my hubs and know they are locked then count on some Vacuum pump to do it..

'05 and newer have the upfitter switch option as mine has where there are four fused switches prewired and in the dash for whatever aftermarket accesories one might want to install. '05 and newer also has an optional factory electric brake controller built into the dash which I also have...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Ryan, I'm not sure that area is exactly designated for switches on your truck- I know a friend's '95 Powerstroke has diesel-specific warning lights (Wait to Start, Water in Fuel, etc.) where you've got the orange and blue switches. And I think trucks of that era with pushbutton 4x4 had the switches where you've got the red one.

Still nice to have the empty space to work with.

(And in reference to an earlier conversation we had, you can still mount a CB where you did in a manual-trans full-size. But it won't work in a Ranger.)

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
makes sense with the diesel options.

The 4x4's were contained in the guage cluster. The one we drive for maintenance at work is just as barren as mine is.

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
One of the reasons I jumped on mine.. I hate ESOF.. too much crap to break.. I rather get out and lock my hubs and know they are locked then count on some Vacuum pump to do it..
Your hubs should be both auto & manual. When set in the auto position they lock via a vacuum pump. Otherwise you can switch between unlocked and locked at your own discretion via the switch on the wheel, as long as you didn't cover it with a hub cap.

And Ryan, that spot on your dash wasn't MADE for switches. The left part with the 3 sections is leftover from where the diesels have some indicator lights (for example, the Wait To Start light). And the bigger square shaped region is leftover from trucks that push-button 4x4 like mine. Don't get me wrong, they're a great spot for switches but Ford but them there with other reasons in mind ;)

EDIT: Whoops, Ian beat me to it :p

PS. Ryan what are the switches for?

PSS. My brother has a ZF 5 speed in his truck (same body style as mine) and he's got an even bigger cb mounted in that same spot, it doesn't even get close to the shifter.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
makes sense with the diesel options.

The 4x4's were contained in the guage cluster. The one we drive for maintenance at work is just as barren as mine is.

Ryan
What do you mean the 4x4s where contained in the cluster? The lights are in the cluster (bottom right corner), but the buttons for Push Button 4x4 are right where you've got your red switch mounted.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
amplifiers and lights are all they control.

I don't recall any 4x4 equipment there in our truck. I'll have to look again. Yes, all I meant before were lights in the cluster that signify whether or not 4x4 is engaged.

Ryan

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I don't recall any 4x4 equipment there in our truck. I'll have to look again. Yes, all I meant before were lights in the cluster that signify whether or not 4x4 is engaged.

I (and I assume Chris, too) mean the buttons to engage 4x4 and 4-Low if the truck is equipped with electronic transfer-case engagement. I'm used to having a lever down on the floor, but my stepbrother's Bronco's got pushbuttons.

Storm

Your hubs should be both auto & manual. When set in the auto position they lock via a vacuum pump. Otherwise you can switch between unlocked and locked at your own discretion via the switch on the wheel, as long as you didn't cover it with a hub cap.

Negative.. Ford came out with two versions of the 4WD Superduty.. The Old school Locking Hubs with Manual Transfer Case lever or the Electronic Shift on the Fly system which included the hubs you are talking about.. They are actuated by a Vacuum pump and tend to be dead when you need them most..

That is why I jumped on my truck.. There are VERY few Manual Transfer Case/Manual Hubs out there then ESOF with Automatic Hubs that can either be Auto or turned to lock..

Infact 2 weekends ago I ripped out the OEM Locking Hubs and put in Stainless Steel Mile Marker Locking Hubs :)

normal_floor_004.jpg

Storm

"The front suspension on 4x4's use a solid front (monobeam) Dana Super 60 axle, but switched from leaf springs to coils and added a sway bar (2005-2007). On 4x4 models you still have a choice of a BorgWarner manual gear-driven transfer case floor shifter with manual locking front hubs or Electronic-Shift-On-the-Fly (ESOF, a $185 option over the manual) dash knob with vacuum activated automatic & (in case of failure) manual override front hubs."

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So why not spring for the vacuum hubs since they've got the failsafe? I mean, I understand that you don't want to rely on the vacuum but you don't have to because in the event of a failure, just user the override.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
One reason I wouldn't want the vacuum hubs is that when I'm jockeying a heavy trailer in a tight spot, I like to put it in low range, but I don't need or want the hubs locked in, especially if I'm on anything but loose dirt.

Not to mention the electric shift motor on the t-case is more failure prone than the lever.

Storm

So why not spring for the vacuum hubs since they've got the failsafe? I mean, I understand that you don't want to rely on the vacuum but you don't have to because in the event of a failure, just user the override.

Because the ESOF system is all Vacuum.. Transfer case and Hubs.. That fail-safe "lock" position doesn't mean jack.. 90% of the time when the vacuum system goes out, the entire system is dead.. Transfer Case and Hubs.. That's what I meant by not having your 4WD when you need it the most.. Theres tons of folks that flip the switch and nothing, ends up being the Vacuum Pump.. Then there are some that never have a problem.. However I just dont like the technology.. It's a lazy way out of wheeling.. I grew up knowing when I need my front wheels spinning. When that happens, I'll get out and turn the hubs and lock the TCase.. During winter I run with the Hubs locked anyways.. Incase of ice (we tend to get a lot here)..

One reason I wouldn't want the vacuum hubs is that when I'm jockeying a heavy trailer in a tight spot, I like to put it in low range, but I don't need or want the hubs locked in, especially if I'm on anything but loose dirt.

Not to mention the electric shift motor on the t-case is more failure prone than the lever.

That is one advantage :p I love that low reverse heheh..

Ford Truck Articles