Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Is the Ranger not returning for 2012?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I'm getting tired of hearing that the Ranger will be back in 2012, and also that it won't be back. So does anybody know which it is?

Personally, if Ford ditches the Ranger, that's it, i'm wiping my hands of Ford. I'll keep my girls, but I will drop my support from 30% to 0%. I do not need a truck the size of an F150, I already have the F100 for that. Nor do I want a big bad 5.0, 6.whatever, or even that little Ecopoof motor. There is still plenty of people who feel the same way as me. Plus, I don't want to pay $20,000+ for an oversized land yacht that drives like a dang car. Maybe i'm just stuck in the 90's, but I think Ford's gonna upset quite a few people if they do drop the Ranger.

Rant over.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not gonna lie Shaun...I love the blue oval...but I'm like you. I think FOrd is going the way of the rest of the country and becoming pussified. Dunno if the chicken came before the egg or not, so it's tough to blame them...their producing what the majority want. So I guess that means I (and you) are the odd men out. We like big gas guzzling carbed engines...we like trucks being trucks...we don't need 12 cup holders and we don't need our a$$es heated. Sure that thought process is outdated, and might even sound ignorant considering what technological advancements have done for vehicles these days. But to me, with modern vehicles, they just don't 'feel' right. And the way you feel about the ranger is the same way I feel about no more 400+ci gassers. Modern vehicles just don't excite me or have the same appeal as vehicles did 15 years ago and older. To be quite honest, if I wasn't raised a Ford lover, without a doubt, I'd be a chevy guy. Personally, I think at this moment, they do in fact have the sexiest vehicles.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Not gonna lie Shaun...I love the blue oval...but I'm like you. I think FOrd is going the way of the rest of the country and becoming pussified. Dunno if the chicken came before the egg or not, so it's tough to blame them...their producing what the majority want. So I guess that means I (and you) are the odd men out. We like big gas guzzling carbed engines...we like trucks being trucks...we don't need 12 cup holders and we don't need our a$$es heated. Sure that thought process is outdated, and might even sound ignorant considering what technological advancements have done for vehicles these days. But to me, with modern vehicles, they just don't 'feel' right. And the way you feel about the ranger is the same way I feel about no more 400+ci gassers. Modern vehicles just don't excite me or have the same appeal as vehicles did 15 years ago and older. To be quite honest, if I wasn't raised a Ford lover, without a doubt, I'd be a chevy guy. Personally, I think at this moment, they do in fact have the sexiest vehicles.

and you bust my balls so much for Ann owning a chebby POS......

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
and you bust my balls so much for Ann owning a chebby POS......

Ummm...first of all it's a Corsica. Second of all, it's a Corsica. Lastly, it's a frickin CORSICA. If she was driving around in one of the new HD's or Denali's or something, I doubt I would say a word. Ford the record, I don't think Chevy took over the sexy title until about 2 years ago, not in whateverfrickinyear the Corsica was produced.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia

I still think we're half brothers.

Even with my F100, I made it a top of the line trim level clone, and all that got me was a little more padding in the seat, and carpet. It still has no A/C, it's still loud, it still clanks, but by gosh I love the heck out of it. Plus, you won't find another one like it.

With my Ranger, the a/c is great and all, but it's not necessary. Luckily, Edges still have vinyl floor mats, so I still feel like she's a real truck. The seats are still plain old seats too. Unfortunately, white supercab Edges are everywhere, and i've seen about 20 others like mine since we got it. I like having something different, and you just can't have that with new vehicles.

One of the only reasons i'm still hanging on to Ford is because of the Ranger, and slightly because of the Mustang. If they drop the Ranger, i'll be done with new Ford vehicles and i'll cross over to the dark side.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I won't say I'll go to the dark side...but I doubt I'd own anything newer than 2005 any time soon. I do think it's impressive the kind of payloads and tow ratings and power numbers vehicles/trucks are producing these days, but something about how their advertised, or 'who' you typically see driving them, etc. just doesn't appeal to me. A truck shouldn't be a family car, a truck shouldn't be considered the nicest vehicle in the driveway. But the manufacturers figured out 90% of folks out there aren't using or buying trucks to be trucks any more.

Blade

Backwoods boy
I still think we're half brothers.

Even with my F100, I made it a top of the line trim level clone, and all that got me was a little more padding in the seat, and carpet. It still has no A/C, it's still loud, it still clanks, but by gosh I love the heck out of it. Plus, you won't find another one like it.

With my Ranger, the a/c is great and all, but it's not necessary. Luckily, Edges still have vinyl floor mats, so I still feel like she's a real truck. The seats are still plain old seats too. Unfortunately, white supercab Edges are everywhere, and i've seen about 20 others like mine since we got it. I like having something different, and you just can't have that with new vehicles.

One of the only reasons i'm still hanging on to Ford is because of the Ranger, and slightly because of the Mustang. If they drop the Ranger, i'll be done with new Ford vehicles and i'll cross over to the dark side.

ill say that i am a cross over. When i first met Tyler, i wanted a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax diesel. and to be honest i would still buy one of those if i could a ford it. dont get me wrong, i bleed ford blue and i am with u, i love the rangers more than any other ford vehicle, except for older broncos and older 60's mustangs. Ford drops the Ranger and the first vehicle i buy will most likely be a Chevy. i even come from a family of Chevy owners, so i could really just get any Chevy vehicle i wanted. I just chose Ford because of the ranger, bronco and mustang

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I'm getting tired of hearing that the Ranger will be back in 2012, and also that it won't be back. So does anybody know which it is?

Personally, if Ford ditches the Ranger, that's it, i'm wiping my hands of Ford. I'll keep my girls, but I will drop my support from 30% to 0%. I do not need a truck the size of an F150, I already have the F100 for that. Nor do I want a big bad 5.0, 6.whatever, or even that little Ecopoof motor. There is still plenty of people who feel the same way as me. Plus, I don't want to pay $20,000+ for an oversized land yacht that drives like a dang car. Maybe i'm just stuck in the 90's, but I think Ford's gonna upset quite a few people if they do drop the Ranger.

Rant over.

You're stuck in the 90's... and so is the Ranger... and that's the crux of the problem. It's a great truck, at a decent price, with a solid rep. But the market isn't big enough to justify the bazillion $$$'s it costs to bring it's replacement to market.

+1 for "I don't even think Ford knows for sure."

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
You're stuck in the 90's... and so is the Ranger... and that's the crux of the problem. It's a great truck, at a decent price, with a solid rep. But the market isn't big enough to justify the bazillion $$$'s it costs to bring it's replacement to market.

+1 for "I don't even think Ford knows for sure."

So why do they still have the F150? Been around since 1975, solid rep, outrageous price, appeals mainly to soccer moms these days, and costs more than a bazillion $$$'s to bring in an entire new engine lineup. If they get rid of the Ranger, the F150 should go too. Back in 1983, the F100 was ditched in favor of the F150's higher GVWR, so the F150 needs to go too in favor of the F250+.

The Ranger has been around since 1983. The F150 since 1975. If Ford is losing money anywhere, it's with the F150 and it's every 6th year re-designs.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
the F150 sells a TON more than the Ranger does...

simple math....

the F150 earns enough money to keep around and keep revising.

the Ranger Simply does not...

But it still costs money to build both the F150 and F250+, so it would probably be cheaper to just put a smaller more eco friendly motor in an F250.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
But it still costs money to build both the F150 and F250+, so it would probably be cheaper to just put a smaller more eco friendly motor in an F250.

you simply WON'T get an Eco Friendly engine in the baheemeth of a F250.. just wont work. need something lighter for a Eco-friendly truck, but still can haul, and have room for the kids...

Ranger doesnt do that, Ranger doesnt get alot better mileage than the F150, doesnt have a crew cab so no room for 3+ ADULT passengers, doesnt have the towing/hauling ability that the F150 does, now days americans want it all...

Blade

Backwoods boy
you simply WON'T get an Eco Friendly engine in the baheemeth of a F250.. just wont work. need something lighter for a Eco-friendly truck, but still can haul, and have room for the kids...

Ranger doesnt do that, Ranger doesnt get alot better mileage than the F150, doesnt have a crew cab so no room for 3+ ADULT passengers, doesnt have the towing/hauling ability that the F150 does, now days americans want it all...

but then again how many Americans do you see now a days using the capabilities of what the F-150 can offer? A lot of people keep their trucks off the dirt and gravel roads most anymore and dont haul many things. i for one use my truck to take loads off (still sitting with the junk from the picture in it) take it off in the mountains and i frequently use 4x4.

many americans just want those options so they can say that have them when talking to friends.

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
So why do they still have the F150? Been around since 1975, solid rep, outrageous price, appeals mainly to soccer moms these days, and costs more than a bazillion $$$'s to bring in an entire new engine lineup. If they get rid of the Ranger, the F150 should go too. Back in 1983, the F100 was ditched in favor of the F150's higher GVWR, so the F150 needs to go too in favor of the F250+.

The Ranger has been around since 1983. The F150 since 1975. If Ford is losing money anywhere, it's with the F150 and it's every 6th year re-designs.

Simple answer- they sell anywhere from 600,000- 1,000,000 F-Series pickups a year. That's roughly 10X's the sales volume the Ranger generates, and the biggest seller in the Us for... what... 27 years in a row? GM sells about the same number Silverado/Sierra pickups, while they kick 50,000-75,000 Colorado's/Canyon's out the door. It cost them over a Billion $$$'s to bring the new Colorado/Canyon to market, and they'll never see a payback on that investment.

Let's put the F-Series pickups in a different perspective. The Ford F-Series is arguably the most successful model ever introduced by any car manufacturer on the planet- both in terms of volume and, more importantly, profit. Ford did this by selling these trucks primarily on one continent (North America), as opposed to foreign manufacturers that marketed their high-volume models worldwide (VW Golf and Toyota Corolla, 2nd and 3rd on the most successful list, in terms of sales volume).

When you look at the ever-important profit side of the picture, it's likely VW or Toyota have to sell 5 or six of their compacts to equal the profit from one F-Series pickup. Simply put, it's the product that makes Ford's world go round, and pays a lion's share of the bills.

Not even relevant in the big pickup market. The Eco folks bought a Prius, or something similiar.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

I always thought it was dumb for Ford to offer two different body styles. I never understood why they made that split. Obviously, it hasn't hurt them...but would it have hurt them to keep the same body style on different chassis?

but then again how many Americans do you see now a days using the capabilities of what the F-150 can offer? A lot of people keep their trucks off the dirt and gravel roads most anymore and dont haul many things. i for one use my truck to take loads off (still sitting with the junk from the picture in it) take it off in the mountains and i frequently use 4x4.

many americans just want those options so they can say that have them when talking to friends.

And that's the point I was making earlier. 90% of folks don't use their trucks as trucks these days...they're simply status symbols. Trucks have become the new sedan and station wagons.

Blade

Backwoods boy
I always thought it was dumb for Ford to offer two different body styles. I never understood why they made that split. Obviously, it hasn't hurt them...but would it have hurt them to keep the same body style on different chassis?
guess thats just to make sure people really know the difference?

And that's the point I was making earlier. 90% of folks don't use their trucks as trucks these days...they're simply status symbols. Trucks have become the new sedan and station wagons.

it bothers me to see a truck not being used as a truck beyond belief..........

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
Back when the '97 was introduced, it was meant to split the difference between the new mid-size pickups hitting the market (Dakota) and the full-size, without introducing a separate mid-size design. Ford was shocked at the negative feedback they got from potential buyers when the '97 F150's hit the showrooms, so they scrambled to restyle the front-end Super Duty to reflect the square-shouldered "I'm a big Ford pickup" look owners had come to love.

Interestingly enough, in many markets regionally, the Super Duty still outsells the F150.

The sales totals say you're wrong- the commmercial market accounts for about 35-40% of the total sales. (That's higher than it was a few years ago)

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles