Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transfer question

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Can a truck still be driven in 2wd with a busted transfer case?
stuck2004.jpg

emtzach

i get paid to do this
not for long if it even moves now. if somethings come apart that debris will find its way through out the whole thing. now if its just a busted selector lever or something then sure why not

emtzach

i get paid to do this
oh ok when you said busted i thought you meant BUSTED like a rolled over short bus screemin kids on fire kinda busted... but you should check the level and see if there is any ODD looking crap in there

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Lol, Zach you must be at work and can't see the pic. He posted a pic of a transfer case LITERALLY split it half right down the center :rofl:

Robert I would not drive that thing very far. Doesn't look like it can hold any oil so you're sure to induce more carnage. And also just like Zach said, you could easily kick rocks and debris up in there.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
We wasn't supose to get into anything like that. I should have taken the bronco. It took a 200hp john deer tractor to pull me out. The transfer case got broken while we was pulling it out. After I install another transfer case I will add a skid plate.
stuck002.jpg

stuck004.jpg

stuck003.jpg

stuck005.jpg

stuck001.jpg

Last edited:

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Robert, ouch, hard to believe you found one as cheap as you did. It takes a hell of a lick for a t-case to break in half, be sure to check both driveshafts as well as center bearing when you install the new one. Something may have gotten bent. I am still in shock though, I have seen plenty of t-cases blown up at mud drags and such, but never from pulling one out.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
She was sitting on the frame. Lesson learned.

I don't know how I made it as far as I did. The ruts that I cut before I got stuck were knee deep. I too pictures because it won't happen again.

I will add a skid plate after installing the next transfer case.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Well I got a new used transfer case today. $575 from the local salvage yard. I could have gotten one off of ebay cheaper but I need it now.

Tomorrow I will swap them out and install a new alternator.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
No but I plan on building one. The one under my wifes ex is just a piece of channel iron. It will work good if pulled forward but will dig in the ground if pulled in reverse.

I have some 1/4" diamond plate that I will build it out of.

If I never get it in that position again I won't need it butt.....I'll build one just in case.

When I need tires again I plan on 8" lift and 38" to 40" tires.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Well I got the old case removed. The one I got came out of a 4r100. Guess what? It won't fit. The diffrence is The shaft size. The 5r100 output shaft is bigger. The salvage yard is CLOSED UNTILL MONDAY. So I am out of luck untill next week.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Well I got the old case removed. The one I got came out of a 4r100. Guess what? It won't fit. The diffrence is The shaft size. The 5r100 output shaft is bigger. The salvage yard is CLOSED UNTILL MONDAY. So I am out of luck untill next week.

Too bad I didn't read this earlier. I have a spare transfer case off an 04 5r110. :) It's just sittin' in storage.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Dang Todd I think I see a road trip. What you want for it. I can take the one I got back. The one off of the 4r100 won't work.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts