Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

460 Intake manifolds

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Last edited:
Blue thunder has been around for a long time but mostly FE stuff.

I don't know what heads you are running but both of those manifolds are for CJ/SCJ ports not standard 429/460 stuff. So unless your running DOOE-R heads or aftermarket stuff such as the current FRPP SCJ or Kaase P51 heads those are NOT the right ones for you.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I'm running the D0ve heads.. I bought a edelbrock manifold today from a flea market and started wondering, can some one explain why there are no water ports on front of a 460 intake manifold like on the small blocks, this is factory and it seems like it would make room for all kinds of cooling problems..

Rough guess would be cause what you bought ISN"T for a 429/460 but for a 400 instead. 385 series engines do have water ports in the intake manifold 335 series engines don't (351c, 351m/400)
So if the manifold you bought doesn't have water ports or a place for a thermostat it's NOT for a 429/460.

Heck look at the first link you posted you can see the water ports in the pictures of that BT manifold

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Rough guess would be cause what you bought ISN"T for a 429/460 but for a 400 instead. 385 series engines do have water ports in the intake manifold 335 series engines don't (351c, 351m/400)
So if the manifold you bought doesn't have water ports or a place for a thermostat it's NOT for a 429/460.

Heck look at the first link you posted you can see the water ports in the pictures of that BT manifold
The part number is a Edelbrock #2166 according to edelbrock this is the manifold for my engine unless I read every thing wrong...

yes 2166 is the edelbrock performer intake for 429/460.

here is a picture of a Edelbrock 2166

edl-2166.jpg

And as can be clearly seen there is a water passage at the front as evidenced by having a place for the thermostat housing. If the one you have doesn't have water passages it is NOT a 2166 and is NOT the right manifold.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well that's the manifold I have I was talking about this. Sorry this is all my fault I was talking about this here was the pics of it.
Why would they make them with out a water passage wouldn't this cause overheating?

Last edited:
Michigan
My 351W has the same thing. One water jacket that is flush with the rest of the intake. Looks like it shoud be cut out for it but its not.. Weird

yes the rear of the intake blocks off the water passages in the heads, something has to. The heads are made with water passages on BOTH ends so they are not side specific. Otherwise you would have to be sure to have both a right and left side cylinder head. basically it's done for ease and symplicity (don't have to worry if it's on the right side or not) But since that water passage is in the head you do have to block it somehow and what better way then with the intake.
and not making a crossover to complete it won't help cooling in anyway (and I have heard but can't prove it can HURT you)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts