Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2003 F-550 6.0 diesel

I have 47,000 mi on my 2003 F-550, i just replaced injectors and computer. I let truck warm up for at least 15 min and when i take off it drags *** and starts puffing white smoke out of exhaust. After about 10 min of this then its fine. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have 47,000 mi on my 2003 F-550, i just replaced injectors and computer. I let truck warm up for at least 15 min and when i take off it drags *** and starts puffing white smoke out of exhaust. After about 10 min of this then its fine. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
What does the smoke smell like...........coolant or fuel? Was the computer reprogrammed to match the ficm and tcm? Any egr troubles?

Not sure what smoke smells like, I can see it in side mirrors while driving. The cmputer was refurbished from ford.I have had truck for 3 yrs, i have replaced tranny, fuel tanks (the protective coating corroded) fuel filtes, pumps and 1 turbo. After injectors and computer were installed the truck ran great for 3 days. Then problems started again, so I took it back to mechanic and he odered and installed another computer, and still having same issues as before.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Not sure what smoke smells like, I can see it in side mirrors while driving. The cmputer was refurbished from ford.I have had truck for 3 yrs, i have replaced tranny, fuel tanks (the protective coating corroded) fuel filtes, pumps and 1 turbo. After injectors and computer were installed the truck ran great for 3 days. Then problems started again, so I took it back to mechanic and he odered and installed another computer, and still having same issues as before.
Was it installed by a Ford dealer? When installing a pcm, you have to do an "inhale. exhale" meaning, the information has to be downloaded from the old pcm, replace the pcm, then upload it into the new unit. If the information was corrupt, you can replace 100 of them and get the same thing. Sometimes erasing, then reprogramming as-built is an option. Sounds like the pcm wasn't the issue. Inspection of power, grounds, wiring, and connectors need to be performed.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts