Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

05 6.0 possible egr valve?

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
A guy that I work with has a 05 6.0. He told me that when he stops he will go to accelerate and the truck won't go. It blows out a big puff of smoke and then takes off normaly. It does this almost every time he stops. Would it be a dirty EGR valve?

Thanks guys.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
cleaning egr valves is not a supported procedure any more. if the valve is malfunctioning then it needs to be replaced. it could be a egr valve, sounds like a egr valve, but still could be something else.

blacksnapon

Staff member
A guy that I work with has a 05 6.0. He told me that when he stops he will go to accelerate and the truck won't go. It blows out a big puff of smoke and then takes off normaly. It does this almost every time he stops. Would it be a dirty EGR valve?

Thanks guys.
Thats entirely possible. Might try pulling it and cleaning.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Mine does this as well sometimes. I picked up a gasket and two o-rings this weekend. I'll see if the cleaning makes a difference.

blacksnapon

Staff member
BTH is correct though. Ford does not condone cleaning. We have seen that shortly after a cleaning, there will be a replacement. Cleaning it will narrow your possibilities.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I don't know how many miles. He was going to pull the valve today. I havent talked to him today. I do see his truck at his camper so he didn't take it to the dealer.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
What does an EGR valve and gaskets cost?

Even though I have no problems, I was wondering if I should just buy one and either have it installed or do it myself?

What is cost of EGR valve (by itself)?

What is cost to have dealer install it?

Thanks,

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I had one the other day that would stick wide open after you let off from a cruise, when you went to get back into it it wouldn't go and just huff white smoke out the pipe, ran the egr test to see it was stuck wide open.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I talked to him today. He was thanking me. He pulled the egr valve and it was caked up. He cleaned it and said that the truck is now running great.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I talked to him today. He was thanking me. He pulled the egr valve and it was caked up. He cleaned it and said that the truck is now running great.

I need to do this, it's low-cost, looks fairly easy (I wrench for a living), and can only help the truck run better.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I need to do this, it's low-cost, looks fairly easy (I wrench for a living), and can only help the truck run better.

It will not neccesarily help the truck run better, and may in fact damage a prefectly good egr valve that will then require replacement. FMC no longer recommends cleaning the valve. If the valve tests bad then replacement is in order. Some things are better off left alone until they cause a problem, and the egr valve is one of them.

FYI the egr valve and system are warrantied for 100k miles, and many go beyond this without any cleaning or problems.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts