Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

VIN decoding contradiction, 78 F350 Supercab 7.5L 460

Spynn

Wrench Wench
Betty White is the name of my dented doll, apparently she got totalled at some point and has a "reconstructed" title. During the VIN decoding process, there's a contradiction. It says I have a 4 wheel drive 460, while I am sure it is the 460 engine because the sticker & bolt pattern on the valve covers say say, I don't have a shifter to put it in 4×4 mode. Is she all wheel drive all the time? Says the 460s didn't come from the factory, the guy I bought it from in January and claimed to have done a tune-up, etc also claimed it was a 351C while assuming I didn't know anything about vehicles... (Hate that.)

This is my first Ford truck & I'm having a great time troubleshooting the quirks and leaks, even though it keeps getting more expensive at each turn & my regular job at Renaissance Festivals around the country came to a screeching halt with COVID. Can't wait til she's rumbling & bumping down the road again once I get this oil pan flushed after seeing it during the timing cover gasket and water pump replacement.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200511-095347(1).jpg

Fellro

Staff member

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
The above post is completely correct, as stated, you have a "reconstructed" title, who knows how far the rebuild went. Could be as little as the door and the title left of the original truck.

Nice truck by the way.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The truck is 40+ years old at this point, so who swapped what and when is anybody's guess. As far as from the factory, 460's flat out didn't go in to light duty 4x4's until 83. Also worth noting, no 350's were 4x4's until 79 from the factory either. It would be interesting to see what the reconstructed title says vs the any door plates vs the frame VIN (the only one that truly matters prior to reconstruction).

I dont think that a 351c was ever put in a pickup ,however ,I think they was
put in some of the old Ranchero's!

I had a 74 pickup that someone had swapped the engine out an put a
351c in it ,when I had done the heads on it ,I learned that it was a 351c
from a head shop guy ,he said that the engine was not the original an
he told me that I needed a head gaskets for the 351c1.

5 years later ,I found out that the engine came out of a Ranchero!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I dont think that a 351c was ever put in a pickup ,however ,I think they was
put in some of the old Ranchero's!

I had a 74 pickup that someone had swapped the engine out an put a
351c in it ,when I had done the heads on it ,I learned that it was a 351c
from a head shop guy ,he said that the engine was not the original an
he told me that I needed a head gaskets for the 351c1.

5 years later ,I found out that the engine came out of a Ranchero!

That's correct...no C's in American/Canadian trucks anyway. Common misconception being that the M WAS the standard v8 for 77-79 trucks and several parts interchange with the C.

Ford Truck Articles