Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Limited Slip

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
probably because it's a dana/spicer design. ford used two of their designs of limited slips. the trac-lok, nothing too special, and the power-lok, very strong with way more lockup than a track-lok, damn near as good as an actual locker.

Dan...what did the power-lok come in?????? Any and all axles? And year range?

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
power-loks were only in d60's and 70's back in the 70's trucks afaik. broncograveyard sells cases and internal kits so you can piece one together yourself. they are hard as hell to find in a junkyard, and most people who have them never sell them so don't even bother with craigslist.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hmmmmmm...I've only ever seen the trac-loc in these things. I'll have to read up in some of my Ford books and see if I overlooked something, because I thought the I had only seen the power-loc as an aftermarket selectable locker.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I have always been under the impression that anything other than a detroit locker, ARB, spool, and the cable actuated lockers are a form of limited slip...whether or not they are clutch or centrifugal.

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
correct, but technically the chevy gov lok centrifugal pos was called a locker. a locker has 100% lockup of both axleshafts under power. the power lok has 90ish% lockup, a trac-lok is probably around 50-60% and basically only works in a straight line.

there are only 3 types of limited slips that i know of. clutch types like the track, and power-lok. centrifugal like the gov lok, and helical gear type like the detroit true trac, and i believe the zexton torsel(spelling*) is also a helical gear type.
EDIT:*Zexel Torsen

Last edited:

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
Are you sure it's not just an aftermarket differential and is sold by JBG.

yes. it is a dana/spicer piece. they are just selling them now. don't know if they bought the rights or something, but it is an actual factory part.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
correct, but technically the chevy gov lok centrifugal pos was called a locker. a locker has 100% lockup of both axleshafts under power. the power lok has 90ish% lockup, a trac-lok is probably around 50-60% and basically only works in a straight line.

there are only 3 types of limited slips that i know of. clutch types like the track, and power-lok. centrifugal like the gov lok, and helical gear type like the detroit true trac, and i believe the zexton torsel(spelling*) is also a helical gear type.
EDIT:*Zexel Torsen

Those still fall under the description of limited slip...anything under 100% postive lockup is not a locker.

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
Those still fall under the description of limited slip...anything under 100% postive lockup is not a locker.

i agreed with you. i was just pointing out types of limited slips.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
i agreed with you. i was just pointing out types of limited slips.

I wasn't trying to argue with you...the manufacturers should be more to the point when naming the product...seems to lead to confusion.

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
agreed. they shouldn't use the terms lok, loc, or lock at all when it comes to a limited slip. half arsed false advertising.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
agreed. they shouldn't use the terms lok, loc, or lock at all when it comes to a limited slip. half arsed false advertising.

Good grief....that's twice I've agreed with you now...gonna have to tell Bill :D

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
Good grief....that's twice I've agreed with you now...gonna have to tell Bill :D

when i'm in a decent mood and not dicking around, i'm really not all that bad a person. i wouldn't bother bill, probably getting too busy preparing for the collapse of america, hoarding bullets and food for when the zombies come :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
when i'm in a decent mood and not dicking around, i'm really not all that bad a person. i wouldn't bother bill, probably getting too busy preparing for the collapse of america, hoarding bullets and food for when the zombies come :D

I talk with Bill nearly every day...:D..I just got back from visiting him :D

fatdan460

BANNED IN MOST PLACES
i know. i still check in over there when i get really bored and the other forums are dead.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts