Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Project thread - E4OD Shift Kit

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Just ordered a shift kit for my E4OD transmission so I figured I'd get a thread started ahead of time in case I've got questions later; and so I can post the progress/results ;) Here's the kit that I bought:
http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=174888

Seemed to be the crowd favorite over on the 'other site'. One of the guys that recommended it to me was Mus (95F350XL). After a handling charge it came out to $80 and change. Can't wait :)

ps. Seems like this thread could be in a MORE APPROPRIATE section but I just couldn't find one smilietease (hint hint) 'drama'

EDIT: Eco I can see you reading this thread right now. Don't even THINK about referencing the longtubes ordeal smilietease

Last edited:
cool...i've been thinking of 1 for my truck. get at it son

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
waiting to see how it works for ya , I am gonna have my shop put one for me , i am due for a filter and fluid change anyways, street or RV kit?

MIke

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I know next to nothing about automatic transmissions....

How much is involved in putting a "shift kit" in? Drop the pan and swap a couple parts, or is there precision setup like installing rear-end gears?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I know next to nothing about automatic transmissions....

How much is involved in putting a "shift kit" in? Drop the pan and swap a couple parts, or is there precision setup like installing rear-end gears?
What I've been told is that its real easy. Drop the pan and drop the valve bodies. Then you have to drill a few holes in those separator plates that come with the kit (it comes with the proper bits) and replace your stock springs with the appropriate springs (theres a harder shifting set, and a REALLY hard shifting racing set that come in this kit). I won't be using the racing set, apparently it can get real irritating if you're just driving a daily driver. Install that new filter (the little gray square do-hickey) and bolt everything back up with the new parts installed. One of the things they mentioned is not to let the check balls fall out when you remove the valve bodies because apparently that's a real hassle.

Mus (95F350XL) knows more about the installation since he did his. Hopefully he'll drop by and speak up ;)

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yo yo, my bad, Just woke up. Yea as Chris has been sayin thats how it goes. You drop the pan, drop the filter, then take the 3 peice valve body down, then you take the seprator plate down. The ck balls are on top but the b&m shink kit shows where they all go. You have to swap 3 springs in the vlave body, take out a sping and put a sleeve in, and drill 3 holes in the seprator plate depending on the year of the truck. Then just clean up the burn from drilling the holes, use vaseline to hold the ck balls up into the trans. Using the new gaskets that come with the kit reinstall the plate, then bolt back up the 3 peice valve body. The B&M kit does come with a little wiring mod, there are 2 wires that you have to link together, kit says its supposed to give you full throttle shift at 1/2 throttle. The instructions show how to install. The filter that came with my shift kit was for a 2x4 so I had to get the 4x4 filter, it has a longer neck on the bottom as the 4x4 pan is deeper then the 2x4 pan. Umm I guess thats it. It was easy and straight foward. Just watch when your puttin the vlave body up with the shifter spool valve back in that you line it up with the shifter shaft that comes through the trans.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Just take it nice and slow and ull be fine. Its not as hard as it seems.

Michigan
Cant wait to see chris. Lookin to do this to mine as well.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Doesn't actually sound too bad.

As to the firmer shifts, my work van last summer was a newer Chevy 2500 with a tow-haul mode on the transmission. I loved the way it downshifted, held gears, and shifted second through fourth. But without 1000 lbs or more in the back, the 1-2 upshift would rattle your teeth if you didn't let off for a second JUST as it shifted. Terrific with a load on, but I can't imagine how irritating it would get if you couldn't switch it off when you weren't hauling.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
sounds like a great project. take a lot of pictures (of every step) so next time someone wants to install one, you can show them a step by step for it. thats what im doing with most of the stuff i do on my truck, granted most of the stuff done on my truck i didn't take pics off (like brakes, rear axles bearings, brake lines, tires, tranny/clutch and so on but you get the idea.

I've done shift kits old B&M in old ass ch#*ys -always laid them on there backs and went from there-turbo 350 and 400-remove lay upside down-remove pans and follow instructions!!! they would snap your necks if you did the heavy mods!!

..........Hey Chris ! ! ! i, also, am looking into doing this same B&M mod.......i 'll be waiting for sure to see your pic's and hear how all goes ! ! smiliegitrdone ...... i have in the past done the same for what jr32560 has stated about's the Turbo 350's & 400's, basically had out and did the mod prior to reinstalling........this mod would be really my second for a FORD, 1st one i did long time back ( like in the 80's) was on a 68 Ford Montego with a 302 and a C-4 trans; did the rebuild of, and installed a Transgo Kit into while it was still out and all......:suspicious: ......But, back on topic, hope all goes well with this for you and be looking forward on the pic's and your progress for this project.......YelloThumbUp ......

mr. Charles

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Mr. Charles?? I remember you.

........uh...hmmmmm????:suspicious: .... U DO???? :wasntme: ........on the GOOD, i hope......smilietease ...........

mr. Charles

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah we still need to get Conanski, Frederic, and EPCSU2006 over here. Those guys are smart cookies YelloThumbUp

Anyone up to the task? I still can't send PMs or emails.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts