Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New problem....4low not an option?

Back story....I bought this truck from my step-dad. He tinkers, bought it as a project. Rebuilt the front axle (U joints, bearings, ball joints...etc etc), but never touched the tcase. Lock in the hubs, throw it in 4hi, and she goes where you point it. This thing blows me away with all the power it has and how well it hooks. However, I tried to put it in 4low to climb a hill in my dads yard, and it became obvious it wasn't going to happen. I am pretty sure I am going to bend the shifter trying, so I quit trying. you guys have this happen? Could it be the linkage, or am I looking at a new t-case?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Sometimes you have to push the shifter to the side while pulling back. should go into nutral first, then into low.

Some you have to push down on the shifter, some you have to pull up on the shifter.

Climb under, and make sure everything is greased up good first before you force anything, the e 40d brackets have a habit of breaking, and are hard to find unbroken in the junk yard

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You can unhook everything from under the truck, and push the rod back and forth by hand to make sure it works. While your at it, remove the main linkage off the trans, and take it apart, sand, clean, and grease it all up nice. My f 350 is doing fine, my son's is on it's 3 rd bracket

Fellro

Staff member
The 86 and 88 both have to be moved to the left, then back. When I had the trans out of the 88, I worked on the linkage and got it loosened up so it now shifts into low much easier.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Broke mine shifting back to 2wd and I lubed it every year . Well its waiting till warmer weather . Big old pair channel locks will shift it for me .

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts