Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Daily driver/Project

I recently bought a 94 f250 that needs some work and I need help. How hard is it to swap beds? Will a f150 bed fit? I also have fuel pump problems. Both of the pumps went out a few weeks ago I replaced the one in the rear tank but then the tank went to hell. I can't find a pump for the center tank. It has a steel tank in the front and all the pumps that I've been able to find are for plastic tanks. Will a pump for a plastic tank work in a steel tank? All the junk yards in my area say its next to impossible to find a pump for the front tank unless its brand new and the guys at the parts stores tell me the truck is suppose to have a plastic tank so I don't know where to go from here can you help me?

primetime

sawmill slave
An F-150 bed will swap over providing they are the same length, eg, 8 ft. As for your fuel pump question, I don`t know. However, if your jy is like mine($20 for a pump), I`d grab one and see.

Yep, hes right an f150 bed will fit, any f350 bed will fit also, as long as its long bed or wht have ya. It will simply need to be a dual gas tank bed. bed will work from 87-96 f150 and 97 f250/f350

No, I dnt believe you could use that pump. why not find a different rear tank and use it for now? Could probably find one in junkyard.

Have u checked LMC, Carpenter, things of that nature for the front fuel pump?

Make sure you put new fuel filters on, that can cause them to go out if the filter is clogged up

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Are you sure its a plastic tank? Or does it have a plastic cover over it to protect it from the tire kicking rocks or sticks up at it?

Im fairly sure that its going to be a metal tank....

Fellro

Staff member
It is possible to be plastic, I have one under a 90 parts truck. However, he states that he can only fiond them for a plastic, which i did find to be true at rock Auto. The pump is different in that the ground will have to be supplied, as well as how it is retained in the tank. The pump is available from Spectre, I did find one for a side mount steel tank for a 5.8. (Autozone, have to look at the details, as they do not outright tell you steel or plastic, or side or rear mount, had to look in the details. ) I can do a little checking on things at work in the morning if you like, but engine size is an important thing to know to get this accurate.

Thanks for the help guys! Its got the 5.8 I don't know if its a side mount or a rear mount but I'll tear the tank off in the morning to see and then I'll try auto zone, thanks again for all the help.

Fellro

Staff member
Side mount is the front tank, rear mount is the rear tank

Fellro

Staff member
Ok, the ones we stock require use of your existing hanger, just the pump module changes. You also reuse your sender. Online, I thought I saw complete module assemblies.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
If you're going to swap the bed, you may as well just pull the bed off the truck before you begin working on the tanks. You'll make your life a WHOLE lot easier! The bed can come off very easily. Six bolts, a couple of buddies and you'll have it, no problem.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles