Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

F350 front axle width

hi everybody, bought a '93 F350 a couple months ago, nice 'ol N/A diesel, anyway, a guy from work was behind me drivin in last week, he knows old Fords, and said ones from this era tend to have a wider front axle for whatever reason. he said it sometimes affects handling when driving in snow... looking at it parked straight in the driveway today, it looks like the front tires stick a inch or so more than the rears. Is this anything I need to be aware of as far as handling or anyway to mitigate it? I was thinking when I get new tires, get narrower ones on the front, not sure if it's really nescessary. Anyway, any info or input would be appreciated, the guy I work with said I could get rims with different backspacing, but I like the ones I got, ya know.

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
I've never had any handling issues with mine. And my front axle is a little wider than my rear( not sure by how much ) and I run the same size tires front n rear

alright, thanks crazybill, are you still running the stock axle? those are some big meats!

I'm only running LT285's, probably gonna bump down to the stock 235's

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Well, before I lifted it and put the massive meats under it I had stock 265/75r16 s on it and had no problem with the handling. And yes its still the stock axle. Now adage its beefed up all to hell

right on, cool, and you got the old diesel too? '89's got the 7.3?

yeah, might be a little while, but I'm thinkin some Yokohama Geolanders in 235/85, just hate the tires stickin out past the fender, personally. I like the look of a tall skinny tire, and I always heard that's better in snow than wides.

Last edited:

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Nah it had a 351w its currently torn apart and workin on gettin a Cummins in it. Yes I have to agree with ya skinnier tires have better traction but I love playing in the snow too much to give up my wide as hell tires

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts