Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

94f150 with 86 302 engine

I just swapped my blown 302 in my 94 f150 with a 302 from a 87 crown Vic motor. Had to change out all of the pulleys and intake, oil pan and all of that good stuff. I had no idea these two blocks were so different. But now that it's all put together it won't start. It turns over but very slowly! The engine ran great before being installed in the truck so I don't think it's the engine. I had a little trouble getting the trans to bolt up but once it did it appears everything is lined up. Any ideas as to why it is turning over slowly? Any help would be appreciated!!

Fellro

Staff member
When you mated the trans, was there a gap between the bell housing and the motor, and you sucked it in with the bolts, or did it slide right up to the block?They can be a PITA sometimes to get all lined up, but once they do, it should have pretty much gone right to the block. If it didn't, you may have not gotten the torque converter to seat into the pump gear, so it is putting pressure on the crank and pump gear, causing it to drag.

The blocks themselves are the same, but going from a car with rear sump to a truck with front sump, you definitely have a lot of parts to change. That actually is not that unusual.

I think your exactly right. That's what happened. I had to pull the trans with the bolts. Thanks for the input. I'll be checking that soon. Thanks again!

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Don't run it like that, you'll smoke that trans in a quick second... I know, I've done it, twice...

Fellro

Staff member
Yep, you'll have to loosen it at minimum and then spin the motor over, but the best is to get the trans separated again ( I know, that sucks) and get the converter completely seated. First and only one I had that happen on I broke the case on the transmission pulling it in.

Fellro

Staff member
Might be more the case here as well, since the bell housing is still intact.

The studs on the converter to flywheel can only go one way, so it is possible one is offset causing the bind by pushing on the flex plate.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Also the firing order should be different and if not a roller motor

OK guys, thanks for all the input. We have the truck up and running but not very well. If I plug in the o2 sensor it runs very sluggish. I've read lots of stuff online but I'm stumped?? Do I need to rewire the injectors to match the firing order? Change distributor gear? Everything is from the 94 truck but the block which is an 87 crown Vic.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
87 vic is a roller motor, but may use the HO firing order. Try using the 5.8 firing order.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts