Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bumping the timing on a 1993 351w

Hey guys and gals. New to the community, figured I'd join. So I've heard a lot about advancing the timing on my 1993 351w to wake it up a little bit. Just wondering how much I should bump it and how? Is it as simple as turning the distributor? Or do other things follow. Thanks in advance.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Pretty much as far as the advance goes...use a timing light and see where you are...advance a couple of degrees and go for a drive.
Get the truck in high gear and find a hill where you can start to apply more throttle without it kicking down and listen for pinging....if no pinging, then good....maybe try another couple of degrees....try until it pings and back it off a couple of degrees.

Fellro

Staff member
You have to unplug the spout connector to see the true timing. Not sure turning the base up will make much difference on a computer controlled unit, as the computer adjusts it according to what it detects is needed. All you do is set the base time, the computer does the rest.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Didn't realize that Roger about the later units....I know about the advance....I'm going back to the 70's now and will stay there :D

A couple of degrees added to the base timing will make a difference. Mine likes about 2 ~ 3 degrees advances from the spec. It helps the off idle response and midrange. As you get close to the limit, the next tank of fuel might not be as good and pinging may start.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts