Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hello, new member adding a new member

Hi, just found this site about 2 days ago and have not really had an opportunity to delve into it too deeply, but thought I would introduce myself and see if I can get some quick advice from those in the know. I own a '96 Ford F150 with 140K miles and it still looks as good as the day I bought it (I baby the hell out of it!) and it is a truck that I will NEVER sell, despite numerous offers. Anyway, have an 8 year old nephew who is just as crazy about Ford trucks as I am, and he is battling a serious illness and no matter how bad a day, the old ford fat fenders seem to make us forget about all that is bad. So, I am buying a 49 F3 for us to enjoy because as he says.........."now that is a truck" and one you seldom see at a show and i hope to finalize it tomorrow, but would love some quick help. In researching, I have determined that the total length of this truck is 213" and width is 80" and hoped someone here might confirm so I can arrange proper shipping. Also, it is a 6 volt system, which I actually am glad about for now, as it is as close to the way it was as can be, however, not quite sure how to properly care for the system over the winter months here in the east. Need to buy a 6 volt charger and hoped I could get some recommendations on one and some helpful tips on storage before I get the time to immerse myself deeply into this site and others to seek out the questions I am sure have been asked a million times. In any event, I am glad to be part of this passion and hope my nephew and I can use this old truck to not only form a closer bond, but lean on it as a diversion from the sometimes bad luck we all sometimes encounter. Any help would be appreciated. thanks for your time!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
First off welcome!

Next I would say the guys with the older trucks will be along. Always glad to see some new faces.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Welcome to the site! :wavey: I'm crazy about 9th gens, I'd love to see pics of the 96. And the new (old) one too! Once you get your hands on it :)

Glad you joined us. Sounds like a pretty neat purchase you're making.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Welcome to the site.:welcome:

Be careful digging never know what or who you might dig up. We've got a few lost members buryed around here.
:horrormovie:
Just kidding!

Welcome aboard. I have to agree your nephew. Now that is a truck!

Mine (56) was the first year ford went to the 12V system. I am afraid I really do not know anything about the 6V ones.

We have several members who have the older trucks and drive them a lot. I am sure they will be along soon to help you with the storage issue.

When you do get the truck...we want to see pics of it (hopefully with your nephew on the running board).

All my little cousins love to get their picture taken standing on one of my running boards. YelloThumbUp

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Welcome. We're always glad to have another Bonus Built truck in the barn. I can't find the spec sheet online. BobJ might have it handy. You're pretty close in your measurements - maybe a little bit over.

A quick check just now in the dark looks like my F2 is 74" wide and 205" long. Your mileage may vary a bit.........

Sounds like a great project - it'll keep you both occupied for a long time. Ask anything you have questions about. Usually somebody around here that knows these rigs. A few of us have done frame-off rebuilds or restorations.

thanks for the warm welcome!

thanks so much for the nice emails! I look forward to any more info i can get on specs and storage and anything else for that matter. I will certainly be posting some pics. thanks again

Hi, just found this site about 2 days ago and have not really had an opportunity to delve into it too deeply, but thought I would introduce myself and see if I can get some quick advice from those in the know. I own a '96 Ford F150 with 140K miles and it still looks as good as the day I bought it (I baby the hell out of it!) and it is a truck that I will NEVER sell, despite numerous offers. Anyway, have an 8 year old nephew who is just as crazy about Ford trucks as I am, and he is battling a serious illness and no matter how bad a day, the old ford fat fenders seem to make us forget about all that is bad. So, I am buying a 49 F3 for us to enjoy because as he says.........."now that is a truck" and one you seldom see at a show and i hope to finalize it tomorrow, but would love some quick help. In researching, I have determined that the total length of this truck is 213" and width is 80" and hoped someone here might confirm so I can arrange proper shipping. Also, it is a 6 volt system, which I actually am glad about for now, as it is as close to the way it was as can be, however, not quite sure how to properly care for the system over the winter months here in the east. Need to buy a 6 volt charger and hoped I could get some recommendations on one and some helpful tips on storage before I get the time to immerse myself deeply into this site and others to seek out the questions I am sure have been asked a million times. In any event, I am glad to be part of this passion and hope my nephew and I can use this old truck to not only form a closer bond, but lean on it as a diversion from the sometimes bad luck we all sometimes encounter. Any help would be appreciated. thanks for your time!

Welcome. :)

I cant really help you with the 6v issue since I am not really a classic truck guy, I can say that one will show up soon with the right answer. :)

I have had many a note left on the truck in signature... people just love Ford trucks. :)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Also, it is a 6 volt system, which I actually am glad about for now, as it is as close to the way it was as can be, however, not quite sure how to properly care for the system over the winter months here in the east.

Back in HS, in central MA, a buddy had a Model A that was his DD, with the stock 6v system.

I don't recall ever having to drive him home because his truck wouldn't start, but I do, clearly, remember fighting to get it running on a number of occasions. If it's tuned right and starts quickly, the 6v will do it fine; if you flood it, or it takes some cranking before it fires, the 6v will NOT have much reserve power in cold temperatures.

As to chargers...he used a cheap Wal-Mart model that could switch between 6 and 12 volt modes.

**I do NOT recommend this, but the old saw rig that Grandpa built is powered by a WWII-vintage Wisconsin engine, that was originally 6v. He "converted" it to a 12v system by putting a 12v battery on it, and it hasn't caused any problems so far (decades).

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Welcome to the site. I have a 51 F1 that needs a full resto. It is all original with the 6 volt system. My dad always ran a 12 volt battery on it.

havi

third member
Welcome to the board! A good battery charger will have a switch to go between 6v and 12v....a worthy investment. Harbor Freight or some other tool co. might have a trickle charger for 6v that you can leave hooked up. Throw some Bounce fabric sheets in the glove box, under the dash, floorboards, under hood, etc... as it is rumored to keep mice away. Pour some Seafoam down the tank and carb as a precaution as well. Maybe even some marvel mystery oil down each plug hole. Turn it over by hand every now and then to keep it from freezing up. One more thing: If possible, get it running and driving before any tear down/restoration so you can enjoy and savor the moments.....this will really help during the long slow process that a rebuild will be. There's lots of frustration involved and remembering what it was like driving it will keep you going....I never had that privelige. Again welcome!

Hello again! Well, the 49 arrived yesterday here in pgh and I got to drive it for about 10 minutes before the snow started to fly. Must say, never drove anything like it before and although I bounced a bit during the shifting, I sure did enjoy the hell out of it. Looking out over that hood and listening to the squeaks and rattles, made me feel like I was back in 1949! Had a smile from ear to ear!! Got it in the garage and spent the last few days going over it and cleaning it up of everything gathered in it. Got a 6 volt battery tender for it today and sure would love some advice on whether I need to fill the gas tank full, what octane is best, do I add lead, do I add sta-bil, should I change the oil now or in the spring and one more question................ up under the dash underneath the ignition, there is a pull type rod that I was trying to jimmy back and forth and wondered what the hell it is for? Is it for that cowl between the front window and hood on the exterior, for some kind of venting???? As you can see, I am stupid as hell where this thing is concerned, but I sure did have a blast driving this thing of beauty! Thanks in advance for the help!

Welcome aboard, Pgh49ford! I hope you enjoy your truck as much as I have mine. My advice for the gas would be don't put in more than 5 gallons at a time unless you are planning a big trip, and use the Sta-bil (certainly cheaper than cleaning a gummed-up carb). I haven't bothered with lead additive but don't drive my truck over 1000 miles a year. I've heard ppl say these later flatheads did and did not have hardened valve seats. Before putting any gas in the tank you might want to give a quick whiff to make sure the gas in there isn't bad. Also, unless you know the oil was changed recently I would say go ahead and change it, cheap compared to potential future problems. I have had good luck getting a replacement oil filter cannister at NAPA and CarQuest -- might take a couple of days to get from their warehouse. Again, depending on previous conditions, it may pay to make sure the oil lines and cannister aren't gummed up. These are not too hard to clean out with some solvent and elbow grease, and I even had plugs in the block for a couple of months while cleaning out my oil setup, though admittedly I did not drive very much during that time. This old-time oil filter setup was such that as the engine runs, some of the oil goes through the filter and the rest through the block.

It sounds like that pull rod operates the cowl vent, between the hood and windshield. Push it towards the firewall and the vent should open.

Awesome! I think Jeff answered your questions.

I do not add a lead additive (they are not really lead) to mine. I will eventually burn the valves I would imagine. I drive mine all the time. I need to get the heads pulled and see if they are hardened seats or not, but I am doubting it.

The most I have driven mine at one time is 1300 miles in 2 weeks a few months ago. I have been in OK twice this summer, KS once, and who knows how many times I have been up in Mo in it. Plus I drive it around here almost daily. To work and back is a little over 100 miles.

Mine has a manual choke (push/pull knob on the dash), but it has a cowl vent under the dash (right in the middle) that opens with a push/pull lever or that is connected to the rods under there.

BTW: We want to see pics...even if it is parked in the garage for the winter. :D

Yeah...My truck is totally different that his, but my choke is the black knob directly beside my oil pressure guage in this pic (the cigar lighter is above it):

DSCF0625.jpg

The cowl vent is the black lever to the right of the gas pedal under the dash:

100_0245.jpg

You can also see the choke knob in this pic. LOL

The chrome piece with the two knobs is my heater controls. One is a two speed fan switch and the other is floor/defrost.

Ford Truck Articles