Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

48 cab vs. 51 cab

havi

third member
yes. the differences are the back window, and the dash. Which means hopefully the '48 cab is complete with gauges and windows.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Havi is right on.
Only thing I would add is about glass. It's flat safety-sheet glass. Relatively cheaper than modern tempered glass and I get mine cut at any local glass shop. This applies to any glass in any truck older than the mid-1950's.

so here is the bad news.. the 48 cab I am looking at does not have dash or firewall. dash and firewall on my 51 are solid. can I put 51 dash and firewall in 48 cab.
thanks again

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
In theory, yes if you have the necessary skills, time and enthusiasm. The cabs are the same dimensions.

If you go for it, be sure and take pictures. We'd love to watch as you go along.

havi

third member
I think you can drill out the welds and swap firewalls and dashes. But to add my 2 cents, If your firewall and dash are good, and most of the cab is ok, then I'd only cut out the bad metal and replace it with the better metal of the '48 cab. The more parent material you can use, the better the odds of keeping the cab proper.

the current 51 cab is in pretty rough shape in the usual areas. But certainly think the idea of keeping the original intact is a goal. it seem the perfect cab is no where to be found thus is becomes a risk/benefit decision with each circumstance a bit different. Anyway...what about cabs from bigger trucks...F2, F3, F4 etc...at what pint will those cabs no linger fit on a 51 frame?

Where are you located? If you're anywhere near me I've got a sweet 51 cab that's just begging to go back to work.

The cabs are all the same, essentially, for all the series, F1-8. There could be small differences with holes and options, etc., but any of them can be made to work.

suburb of buffalo NY. If it save me parts and welding labor I will certainly consider. I cannot weld but friend has done previous work at a VERY reasonable price.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Wayne is in se Washington state. It's never impossible to get the sheetmetal you need, just a challenge. I can verify that Wayne has good stuff and it comes from a dry corner of WA. If you can get his spare cab it would be worth the effort.

sorry did not see location at top corner. Anyway a good friend of mine does contract trucking. I will see what he can do for me. if it worth while I may still be interested.

Ford Truck Articles