Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

96 F250 5.8 L Transmission issues !

Hello all!

At a complete loss with this truck, went out to start her up today and the engine started idling rough and soon as i pulled out of my drive the trans [e40d] starts slamming into gear with the o/d light flashing. I had just replaced this trans about 30 days ago and zero issues with it until today. I have checked all fuses, fluid level is fine and looks red with no burnt odor. Any ideas or suggestions as to what this could be would be very much appreciated. I need her up and running asap

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Hey there, I'm sorry to hear about your transmission woes.

The place you should start is by pulling codes on the truck. On a freshly rebuilt transmission, I'm not likely to believe it is the internal mechanicals.

The fact that the engine is stumbling tells me that maybe your computer isn't able to meter the air use (mass air flow I presume). That points to maybe a bad throttle position sensor. Additionally the transmission uses the vehicle speed sensor on the rear differential to determine how to shift.

Do you have any symptoms with the speedometer having weird behavior?

Like I said, you can keep telling us more symptoms but the #1 thing you need to do is pull codes on the truck's computer.

Ryan

these are the transmission related codes its throwing right now, there are a few others as well. FYI i meant to say the transmission is a used one
from a salvage yard, I know not the best option but im on a tight budget and the truck has 194.000 miles on 'er

637- transmission oil temp circuit above maximum voltage

654- NOT in "park" during key on engine off self test

626- Coast clutch solenoid circuit fault

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Engagement Concern: Harsh Forward and Reverse Possible Components Reference/Action
208 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE
Powertrain Control System
Electrical inputs/outputs, vehicle wiring harnesses, powertrain control module, electronic pressure control, throttle position sensor
Run On-Board Diagnostics. Refer to PC/ED Manual for diagnosis. Perform Engagement Test, EPC Test and Pinpoint Test E using Rotunda Transmission Tester 007-00085 and Cable and Overlay 007-00107 or equivalents. Service as required. Clear codes, road test and rerun On-Board Diagnostics.

308 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE
Improper Pressures
High line pressure
Check pressure at line pressure taps. Perform Line Pressure Test. Refer to Pressure Chart No. 401 for specification. If high, check main controls.

Main Controls
Bolts not tightened to specification
Retighten bolts to specification.

Gasket damaged
Inspect for damage and replace.

Electronic pressure control solenoid stuck or damaged
Perform Electronic Pressure Control Tests in routine No. 208. Service as required.

Engagement control valve stuck, damaged, contaminated, misassembled
Inspect for damage, contamination. Service as required.

Pump Assembly
Bolts not tightened to specification
Retighten bolts to specification.

Gaskets damaged
Inspect for damage and replace.

Main regulator/booster valve stuck, damaged, misassembled
Inspect for damage. Service as required.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts