Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 stumble, stall and no go

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
List of replacements:
-IPR
-ICP and pigtail
-EBP sensor within last year, little drive time since.
-New alternator and FICM circuit board
-VGT solenoid

Will start and run like it should until throttle is touched then it starts loping if its in gear sometimes stalls.

Manually control duty cycle of IPR and that issue is resolved but still won't boost. Can manually control duty cycle of VGT with similar results as IPR. Letting truck control itself the IPR idle value is 15%. Cranking has the correct values.

ICP plugged in I have half the required psi under load but holds around 600psi at idle up to about 900psi. Disconnect ICP and my desired vs actual psi rise within a couple PSI but truck still won't boost or shift on its own.

I have a hard time thinking its HPOP as it fires easily hot or cold. I guess it still could be though.

Currently has A p0069 and a p0470 and low injection pressure (can't remember code off hand). Baro, EBP and MAP are all relatively close.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Lopings probably from bad injectors. Ive had them fail where when the truck was cold it ran fine. Soon as it warmed up it loped.

I know you said you replaced the solenoid. But did you try to manually actuate the turbo?? Downside to the shifting if the transmissions not getting the power its looking for from the engine it wont shift right. (Something else i noticed both times the old turbo froze up on me.)

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Contribution test comes back normal, it'll run fine cold until I touch the throttle then lope/stumble for a few seconds to a minute before clearing up. VGT actuates manually turbo changes tone when upping the duty cycle. When driving it barks, pops and bucks. Lopes in gear after a slight amount of throttle, if out of gear it'll stumble for a moment then even out. I can manually actuate the IPR with the computer up to 20% and it won't do it, can also disconnect ICP with same results but duty cycle for IPR jumps to 33% at idle which is high.

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Whats your fuel pressure looking like??? (This is something youll need to give values for under load. Idle, cruising and full throttle unless you have one of them fancy pressure gauges that can dump the fuel to simulate a fuel demand load)

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
100 at idle??? thats waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to high according to specs... (or least ford claims so.. they say you shouldnt be running over 75psi... something to do with the pressure causing the fuel to bleed around the seals... but dunno....

while the stock pumps capable of delivering 120psi... safe they claim is between 55-65... that said i have my aftermarket regulator set to 70psi for the rail pressure... but i know quite a few running their systems at 80 psi...

surging and sputtering they claim is an issue with the fuel pressure dropping below 45psi (min needed to refill and protect your injectors during acceleration).. the pump itself also has a regulator built in and could be stuck dumping what it thinks the excess fuel back to the tank...

the other thing i was finding is people saying a leak somewhere in the HPO system.. whether its a cracked seal on one of the injectors or bad one around the icp or irp valve... but dunno... no one seemed to have a clear answer...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts