Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

oil pressure sending unit

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
On the top of the block in the back right behind the intake manifold! pretty much the middle of the back.

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid And the type of sending unit you have will vary, whether or not you have gauges or just warning lights. And welcome to FTF.

Fellro

Staff member
Isn't it down by the oil filter???

Fellro

Staff member
Hmmm, Autozone's site got it wrong, imagine that...

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Hmmm, Autozone's site got it wrong, imagine that...

For the '78 Ford, it has it listed in the correct location. I didn't check the info for the '79.
'78 says underhood(DOH!), behind carburetor, at the back of the block.

I set up scaffold over the front of my truck so I could lay on the board to work on the oil sending unit.
I installed a brass T so I could keep the original electric gauge and have a mechanical one too.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I set up scaffold over the front of my truck so I could lay on the board to work on the oil sending unit.
I installed a brass T so I could keep the original electric gauge and have a mechanical one too.

I just sit on the inner fender...pull the air cleaner off and get a vice grip on the old SU and twist. I can never seem to get more than a 1/4 of turn on the nut, much less consistently find it. Then I put the new SU on by hand.

Fellro

Staff member
I looked it up for both my 77 and a 79, and it indicated driver side, front of block. It never said anything about carb on the lookup I used, but I used component lookup, not the work procedures.

On the 351/400M there is also a port on the drivers side front next to the mechanical fuel pump. I have my oil pressure guage coming of of that port and my stock oil guage sending unit coming off the rear port behind the intake manifold.

Ford Truck Articles