Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General Maintenance, Performance, and Tech. Info > Chips/Power mods

Old 10-20-2009, 06:35 PM

dgwoodworks is on a distinguished road
homemade CAI

I made this cold air intake for about $40, I got the filter at auto part store for $29 and some PVC pipe, a saw and glue and drill a couple of holes and you got a CAI for alot cheaper than store bought

2004 F-150

Dave
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2009, 06:37 PM
FTFS Designated DRINKER!

TexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond repute
NIce Job man.
02 Ranger Edge 4x4 4.0

Tex the AK-toting Liyote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Skandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond repute
You see any performance gains from the mod? The previous owner of my truck had a K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit on there-- very similar setup to yours, just an open element filter and a tube basically. I was worried about it sucking up the hot air in the engine compartment so Larry sent me a stock intake setup that pulls the air from outside with a duct-- performance was improved going back to stock

Old 10-20-2009, 08:07 PM
FTFS Designated DRINKER!

TexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond repute
E fan baby E Fan.
02 Ranger Edge 4x4 4.0

Tex the AK-toting Liyote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 PM

I could tell a little difference in power and MPG........
the end of the filter has the tube that goes through the fender for cool air

2004 F-150

Dave
Old 10-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Skandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond reputeSkandocious has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgwoodworks View Post
the end of the filter has the tube that goes through the fender for cool air
I'm confused by this... How is that possible? The air would go directly into the end of the filter and bypass all of the filtration media? Please explain

Old 10-20-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandocious View Post
I'm confused by this... How is that possible? The air would go directly into the end of the filter and bypass all of the filtration media? Please explain
its made kinda like this one, filtered through the end

2004 F-150

Dave
Old 10-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Post Whores Make Me Sick

Hm very interesting.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Boom Shaka Laka

RangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant future
It'll still be getting more hot air than cold air through the filter, since the "hot side" has a lot more surface area than the "cold side" of the filter.

I'd suggest wrapping the external part of the filter (forcing induction through the center), or building a baffle around it (should be cheap enough).

Quote:
It lands just like a regular airplane... unless you want to fly like a drunk gorilla and slip down the last quarter mile of final, which I don't think any real pro pilots do.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=RangerPilot;299415]It'll still be getting more hot air than cold air through the filter, since the "hot side" has a lot more surface area than the "cold side" of the filter.

I'd suggest wrapping the external part of the filter (forcing induction through the center), or building a baffle around it (should be cheap enough).[/QUOTE

I will be building a baffle next

2004 F-150

Dave