Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

all of you try this one!

blacksnapon

Staff member
The other techs know about this one, so heres one for you to test your diagnostic skills. Remember, this is customer pay, so you cant just throw parts at it. We're gonna give each of you 2 chances at a diagnosis, then you're out. Ask as many questions as you want, just be smart. Oh, the fix is quite expensive! Ready?......... Got an f450, a/t, 6.0 diesel. Its towed in, no start. Blows thick black smoke when cranking. Go!...........We'll answer your questions by pm. Your dignostics will be answered in open forum so we can embarrass you!

Michigan
aaa il give it a shot... Have they checked all the fuses for the injector modules or anything to do with the fuel system? Whats battery voltage?

Michigan
Have they checked voltage to the injectors?

Michigan
Last question... Is the truck loosing oil? and not leaking it

Michigan
K maby one more question, Have they ran any codes?

Michigan
Seams like a tough one... My guess (i only have one at the moment) is that either one, or a whole bank if injectors are not pulsating, just dumping raw fuel into the cylinders making it so the truck wont start (like most when you hold it at WOT).

blacksnapon

Staff member
Seams like a tough one... My guess (i only have one at the moment) is that either one, or a whole bank if injectors are not pulsating, just dumping raw fuel into the cylinders making it so the truck wont start (like most when you hold it at WOT).
So whats your fix? The customer is standing over you, wanting to call his boss with the cost. Remember, no one wants to pay for your mis-diagnosis. (this is exactly how its happening)

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I don't know jack about diesels, but here goes: it's either low compression or too much fuel. Go ahead let the world know I'm a DA.

Michigan
Since the injectors are covered by the valve cover, i would go to the connector to where each bank plugs into the harness, unplug it, while someone cranking probe each wire to check if each one is pulsating (if im able to do it, ive personally never seen one in order to know if its one big plug with pins for each separate injectors, or 4 smaller plugs.)

Somehow check the ICM.

blacksnapon

Staff member
C'mon.....No takers? We have to deal with this stuff all of the time. Give it a try, see why we have male pattern baldness!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Since the injectors are covered by the valve cover, i would go to the connector to where each bank plugs into the harness, unplug it, while someone cranking probe each wire to check if each one is pulsating (if im able to do it, ive personally never seen one in order to know if its one big plug with pins for each separate injectors, or 4 smaller plugs.)

Somehow check the ICM.
Ficm performance check cant be completed (eot has to be less than 68 degrees, reads 71.5)

Someone's got to take a shot at it -

FICM?

Edit: Should have refreshed before I posted........
slap.gif

I guess that's one down........

Last edited:
Was that sarcasm where you said it was a "quite expensive" fix?

If so, I'll go with a chafed wire in the FICM harness.

Ford Truck Articles