Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My new Project

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Hey all. It's been awhile since I've been around. I've been busy with other things in life. But, hopefully I can get on here more often again. Anyway, I've picked up my next long drawn out budget project. I had been keeping an eye on this truck for about 3 years in my father in laws trees and he has not had any bites so it was just sitting and getting mice infestations and rotting away. So I decided to buy it. It's a 75 F250 Extended Cab 2wd, 460, C6, Ranger XLT. I got for $900. It took some fooling around to get the truck running and it needs tuned up, but for sitting for 3 years it don't run too bad. Body is in pretty good shape from what I can tell. I"m going to take it apart and do a "budget restoration". Nothing too special, but just enough to get it too look decent. Here are some pics.

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3924.jpg

IMG_3926.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'll give you $901 for it! :D

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Nothing like a good 460! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

looks like a good project, like it

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Very nice, Buck. Good Luck, but wasn't your last one supposed to be a budget restoration??????? Welcome back.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Thanks guys. I also was impressed with how straight the truck is and how little obvious rust there is. The cab mounts and floor look good except for surface rust, but not too sure until I pull the carpet.

Doug, my 77 was supposed to be a budget restoration also, but I got carried away a bit smilieFordlogo This truck WILL BE a budget one and all the work done by myself and brother. I figured it's a good one to learn some body work on. Truck is still in Nebraska so I won't get to work on it much for awhile, but will tinker with it when I get a chance.

I really didn't need another truck, but not saving this one from the trees would have bothered me. Someone eventually would have bought it, but the weather, mice, rot or a fallen tree would have taken the truck out in not too much more time, so I couldn't pass it up. My plans after I get it to snuff will be to pull a camper and my 77 around if need be. One of the only conditions for the truck is that my wife insists on picking out the color once I'm there. I honestly would like to keep the two tone yellow, but she hates it and wants me to paint it a dark red. We'll see.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
How cool will your 77 look on a trailer behind that going down the highway? Keep us posted, looking forward to the progress.

My thoughts exactly.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I finally got my truck up here in Minnesota. It made an 8 hour trip from Nebraska without any trouble. Ran great and drove just fine. Had to get 2 new tires for the front before the trip, but other than that nothing really apart from changing oil and making sure all fluids were topped off and brakes worked.

The truck just barely fits in my small 2 car garage. It's tight, but it will work. I have started to work on the bed first. After taking some lower trim off, I have found rust issues that I never knew, so that just means more work, but oh well. Could be much worse. The drivers side rear wheel arch was a little worse. For my first try on the drivers wheel arch I tried using a flange tool, but I wasn't impressed with how the patch panel fit, so I then just used some 20 gauge sheet metal and used it as a backer to butt the patch and original metal together for easier welding. It does mean I need to seal the inside around the backer sheet metal, but it should work. I do like using metal for a backer at the weld seam because it makes the repair stronger. Any way, I cut the inner rear arch out, but was able to save a little bit of it that was still attached to the outer arch down by the corners, so I still have some structure. I think I'm just going to leave the inner arch as it is and not replace it. I may weld a support brace in there somehow, but I will look at that later. Here are some pics of the project so far.

IMG_4425.jpg

IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4434.jpg

2012-10-25_12-37-26_170.jpg

The passenger side I decided to do things a bit different. It took more time to fit the panel, but I really didn't want to cut out anymore original metal than I needed too.

This is what the backer method I used looks like after I cut out the rust
2012-10-29_21-43-28_842.jpg

2012-10-29_21-43-54_822.jpg

2012-10-29_21-47-46_263.jpg

2012-10-29_22-14-11_137.jpg

2012-10-31_11-41-28_652.jpg

2012-10-31_12-41-29_235.jpg

A small rust hole when I pulled the trim off the rear of the bed so I cut out a little section and going to patch that.
2012-10-31_11-41-43_240.jpg

It takes some patience to weld so not to warp things and careful grinding. Hopefully my amateur job will work out. I'll keep ya posted.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts