Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

General Dentside Discussion V2

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I figured we could use another chat thread around here (hehe). But seriously, I enjoyed the one we had that revolved around dentsides. That being said, I'll start off with a little tip...with winter months coming up, don't forget to recalibrate your carb, thinner oil might help and a higher temp tstat wouldn't be bad either.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I just noticed mine was running like crap at high idle a couple mornings ago, I adjusted the choke and she was fine for the most part. All I can say is there's the potential for a helluva swing in tuning when you live between 100+* summers and 0* winters.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
We usually don't get down to 0 but we get fairly cold with the wind chill. Hopefully I don't have to adjust my carb. much. I may have to set the fast idle a little higher. I run the same temp. thermostat all year. When it is real cold I just block off half of the rad. with cardboard so it warms up faster.

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The flap on the end of the air cleaner horn no longer closes to allow preheated air only from the exhaust manifold to enter the air cleaner. Has anybody seen replacement units for that flap? I'm still getting vacuum to the flap - it's just not closing.

gsxr1238

Be fast.....or be last.
The vacuum motors are available at several places.RockAuto,NAPA,etc.If it is the flap itself,the junkyard would probably yield some repair parts.Hope this helps.

I don't have driveway to my second garage.
So I can't (won't) get my 78 out when the ground is wet because it will tear up my yard.
Would have been a nice day for a drive. ( before I had a drink.)

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
We've had some pretty nice weather up here and looks llike we will have some mid 50s all week so I'll be able to drive the truck a little bit more. Last year at this time it was colder and I had the truck sitting for winter, so it's nice to have a little bit more driving season. I would love to drive it in some deep snow (hopefully we don't get any this year, but that's wishful thinking), but with all the damn salt that is used up here, my truck would be rusted out after 1 season.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I don't have driveway to my second garage.
So I can't (won't) get my 78 out when the ground is wet because it will tear up my yard.
Would have been a nice day for a drive. ( before I had a drink.)

Mark, with that truck, I'd be building a climate controlled garage w/ gold pavers. :D

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
If the truck is stored in the winter, does one still calibrate the carb? My rig will be stored. It won't be climate controlled and I will start it once a week or so and get it up to operating temperature.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Quick question guys, over the last week, I've noticed alot more 'road noise' and a little bump steer in the steering wheel in the Bronco. Is it safe to assume the ball joints and tie rods have finally had enough? I noticed a few months ago, that both components were getting worn, so obviously they haven't gotten better. I just wanted to make sure I shouldn't be concerning myself with some other problem.

If the truck is stored in the winter, does one still calibrate the carb? My rig will be stored. It won't be climate controlled and I will start it once a week or so and get it up to operating temperature.

Personally, if that will be the extent of use, I wouldn't touch a thing. However, the carb may not be too happy depending on how cold it gets. So then I'd just keep my foot on a the throttle a little bit to keep her running until she's warm.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I know a local guy parting out a green interior, the truck is in questionable shape. I already know the door panels are cracked to high hell, but is there anything in particular someone might be looking for, especially if condition isn't a limiting factor? If condition is a factor, I'll make a judgement call.

Fl.
Quick question guys, over the last week, I've noticed alot more 'road noise' and a little bump steer in the steering wheel in the Bronco. Is it safe to assume the ball joints and tie rods have finally had enough? I noticed a few months ago, that both components were getting worn, so obviously they haven't gotten better. I just wanted to make sure I shouldn't be concerning myself with some other problem.

Tie rod ends perhaps but don't you have king pins instead of ball joints?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
How well do the scuff plates in your truck in the US handle aging?

My driver side scuff plate just corroded away, but considing the fact I was occasionaly putting water on the carpet on the drivers side over th years that would explain the corrosion.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Red still has hers...tarnished but could be brought back to life. The Bronco...dunno about the age on those, but they're at least 7 years old and are painted.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
I know a local guy parting out a green interior, the truck is in questionable shape. I already know the door panels are cracked to high hell, but is there anything in particular someone might be looking for, especially if condition isn't a limiting factor? If condition is a factor, I'll make a judgement call.

I recently started a casual search for spare green interior parts. I'd like to have a set of spare door panels, but if those are shot I'd still like to find a good dash pad too. Mine has one chunk out of it where some dummy slipped with a screw driver. I won't replace anything right away, but it's nice to have spares.

Ford Truck Articles