Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

all of you try this one!

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
bad ecm ?? nono wait,, do diesels have timing shure they do right?.. the timing is off !!! injectors injecting the wrong time not enough compression to burn it ? so timing is off??

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
bad ecm ?? nono wait,, do diesels have timing shure they do right?.. the timing is off !!! injectors injecting the wrong time not enough compression to burn it ? so timing is off??
No guesses! You have to show me your diagnostic process! And injector timing is fine (whenever it works)

As a start, since the eot sensor is good but circuit 354 is open the wire c104/c1381c should be replaced, correct?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
No guesses! You have to show me your diagnostic process! And injector timing is fine (whenever it works)

code cheks first depends on that
engine timing.. i would chek the timing engine timing

btw what controls the injector timing?? ecu ?

blacksnapon

Staff member
code cheks first depends on that
engine timing.. i would chek the timing engine timing

btw what controls the injector timing?? ecu ?
po245 (cyl contribution, cyl #5) and p1291 (no icp at startup), careful dtcs can lead you astray! The FICM (fuel injection control module) handles timing.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ok, because we haven't had any more......victims.....I'll give you the answer. Bricks got it by good diagnostic work. Any FMC diagnostics work will start with verifying the symptom. Then preliminary checks. Move on to dtcs, oasis, then depending on what you have found so far, diagnostic procedures. Dtcs were p1291 (no icp at startup) and po245 (cyl contribution #5). We have 1400 psi icp while cranking, so that isnt an issue. Because it wont run, you cant really check #5. Oasis shows a long history with this same symptom. Because of the black smoke when cranking, fuel system checks are wise. Fuel quality was ok. Tried to do the ficm performance test, but it couldn't be performed. The eot has to be 68 degrees or less. It measured 71.5. I noticed wiring to the eot sensor was taped. stripped the wiring, it had been spliced and soldered together. VGT actuator wires were melted, several areas with raw, unprotected wiring. There was no continuity from eot sensor to the pcm. Ficm had a burned pin, and corresponding connector had 4 pins melted. Ficm power relay was hot. Ordered main engine harness($600) injector harness ($400) FICM ($800) and a new relay. Labor and parts---$3200.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Missed this one earlier, this was a definite fun one.

Okay Vince, in your opinion what caused the wiring problem? Poor routing of wires, added aftermarket components, a careless mechanic servicing the truck.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Missed this one earlier, this was a definite fun one.

Okay Vince, in your opinion what caused the wiring problem? Poor routing of wires, added aftermarket components, a careless mechanic servicing the truck.
As bad of a mess that its in now, it would be speculation at best. If I was pinned down, I would go with a defective FICM. Whether it was caused by a wiring chafe to start the series of events or not, I couldnt say. It should have been caught earlier, then the customer wouldn't have a poor view of Ford employees. The poor diagnostics very well could have contributed to its further demise. The soldered wires on the eot sensor are not mentioned in the oasis.

Ford Truck Articles