Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The 6.0 Powerstroke

V-Man, the 6.0 has been seen by some as problematic. I now have 27,000 miles on mine and it has yet needed to be back to the dealership for anything. In your opinion, is or are there anything in particular the is the nemisis of the 6.0 that some seem to have real problems and some, like mine are absolutely problem free?

blacksnapon

Staff member
V-Man, the 6.0 has been seen by some as problematic. I now have 27,000 miles on mine and it has yet needed to be back to the dealership for anything. In your opinion, is or are there anything in particular the is the nemisis of the 6.0 that some seem to have real problems and some, like mine are absolutely problem free?
Fuel quality in my opinion has been the culprit all along. With the new fuel standards in place regarding sulfur and ash content, I believe those nightmares are going to be a thing of the past. Good fuel, regular oil changes, no problems.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Fuel quality in my opinion has been the culprit all along. With the new fuel standards in place regarding sulfur and ash content, I believe those nightmares are going to be a thing of the past. Good fuel, regular oil changes, no problems.

Ok question: You saw the oasis report on my truck. They replaced the HPOP and the #7 injector. I personally believe that the tech that worked on my truck botched the fuel filter swap, crap got into the #7 injector and jammed it, causing a backfeed of high pressure oil to the HPOP, which ruined the pump. Am I full of it (which I don't believe that I am) or is there some other culprit for this that I'm unaware of?

Gunner

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ok question: You saw the oasis report on my truck. They replaced the HPOP and the #7 injector. I personally believe that the tech that worked on my truck botched the fuel filter swap, crap got into the #7 injector and jammed it, causing a backfeed of high pressure oil to the HPOP, which ruined the pump. Am I full of it (which I don't believe that I am) or is there some other culprit for this that I'm unaware of?

Gunner
In reality, if I was to venture a guess, the tech didn't do proper diagnostics, and replaced the hpop. When this didn't repair the problem, the injector was replaced. If the o-ring at the top of the injector failed (THEY DO QUITE FREQUENTLY), or the snap ring holding the o-ring, it will act like a hpop failure.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
not trying to defend anyone, but if i ever have a truck that has the new style pump, with low or now icp, its getting the new block kit. mainly because we have the parts and sooner or later it gonna need it anyway. now if i have to put an injector in no biggie. truck and the customer will be better off in the long run anyways.

BIGRED911

Charter Member
I talked to a mech from the stealyoursh*t in fairfeild iowa and he said something about the factory wants only 10w30 oil run in the sick blows now, it suposedly fixes the cranking problem from the start and some of the other issues....still doesnt add any displacement to em tho....

blacksnapon

Staff member
I talked to a mech from the stealyoursh*t in fairfeild iowa and he said something about the factory wants only 10w30 oil run in the sick blows now, it suposedly fixes the cranking problem from the start and some of the other issues....still doesnt add any displacement to em tho....
10w30 is ok for northern climates, but not for towing or warmer areas. The oil recommendations havent changed (other than the 6.4)

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
The 6 Blow your doors off don't need the displacement to smoke that POS 7.3 you got.

Ford Truck Articles