Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

pinion seal

I have a 79 f100. I took the seal off, then later heard I should have marked the pinion yoke and the shaft and count the exposed threads before taking the nut off. What do I do now, I did none of this.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have a 79 f100. I took the seal off, then later heard I should have marked the pinion yoke and the shaft and count the exposed threads before taking the nut off. What do I do now, I did none of this.
The thoughts are thats to prevent vibration issues. Many driveshafts are balanced while on the vehicle. If you dont have a vibration now, don't sweat it.

The truck was given to me by a friend. I've got about 500 dollars in it, runs fine, looks like its going to be a good truck! Having fun fixing it up. Learning alot on the way, thanks for your reply.

blacksnapon

Staff member
good, How tight should I tighten the nut, I've seen about 225 ft-lbs. Does that sound right?
OOOOOOOH, when the third member is not in there, the spec is around 13 inch pounds turning torque (how much it takes to turn the shaft inside the bearings), Not torque on the nut itself. Remember, theres a crush sleeve in there. Too much torque, it crushes the sleeve too much, and there will be premature seal and/or bearing failure.

Fellro

Staff member
Not to mention, that is a massive torque number... If you didn't get ridiculous with tightening it, you "should" be fine. I have been fortunate enough to not have an issue from over tightening, but the crush sleeve I would think is stronger than just cranking on it by hand or even light impact.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts