Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

97 f350 no horn...Help

Hey all. I just bought a 97 f350 CCLB. The only real issue with this truck is that the horn doesn’t work. I pulled the corn switch off of the steering wheel and it seems to be functioning fine. This truck does not have an airbag nor does it have factory cruise (I think).

I am not sure if it has a true Clock spring in that it does not have cruise control. Any help would be appreciated.

The other question I have is that it looks like the previous owner installed an aftermarket cruise control switch on the steering column. This does not work either and I am having trouble figuring out where this even leads to you in the engine compartment.IMG_3543.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Horn, probably needs a horn replacment. Those were junk from the factory, and didnt last. Could also be the relay, but I'd do horns first.

The aftermarket cruise is driven by magnets on the driveshaft usually.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Ya I'd test the horn first, make sure there is power and ground there then chase backwards

It’s hard to tell. There are only 2 wires. One is yellow. One is black. The contacts seem to be fine. I think I’ll have to take the wheel off and check the clock spring.

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Checking to see if you have good ground at the horn button will tell you if you have to pull the wheel or not.

What do you mean by the relay "seems fine"? Does it click when you push the horn button?

On the cruise, look under the dash, find where the added wiring goes through the firewall, then go find it at the firewall under the hood, and follow it, that's about all I can say there, without pictures and more info about your drivetrain.

It would also be helpful to know what you are using for testing. As in test light? Volt/Ohm meter? Makes it easier to explain some things.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Checking to see if you have good ground at the horn button will tell you if you have to pull the wheel or not.

What do you mean by the relay "seems fine"? Does it click when you push the horn button?

On the cruise, look under the dash, find where the added wiring goes through the firewall, then go find it at the firewall under the hood, and follow it, that's about all I can say there, without pictures and more info about your drivetrain.

It would also be helpful to know what you are using for testing. As in test light? Volt/Ohm meter? Makes it easier to explain some things.

I’ll get some pics today of the cruise. I swapped out the relay and it functions. There isn’t any click so I think my problem lies between the buttons and the relay.

I’ll get some pics today of the cruise. I swapped out the relay and it functions. There isn’t any click so I think my problem lies between the buttons and the relay.

3c44a65313368b15bf054c974aa0f5fd.jpg

a3ca030be57a286d0a2da19f031e2ac1.jpg

b49038eadedbd62d0344ece038833772.jpg

eb33e9e345d13cd4cc03a2ce98a86589.jpg

dd83a06e9ddab69f9e46ebff9b94be5d.jpg

1b9b2883eaf491af4753da12baedbd00.jpg

c7998649bf18dbf5d8d2e1e36ac8b479.jpg

The cruise control runs under the dash and is fixed via a 4way connector to a wire harness. That has 2 leads that connect to the 2 green/green with brown strip wire. The entire harness run through the firewall to the box next to the break booster which leads to the throttle. I’m not sure where else this goes if anywhere.

As for the horn. The relay is good. And it looks like I don’t have a good connection at the horn switch. I don’t want to blow $250 on a clock spring. Any advice which wires under the dash or steering column are for the horn?

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Sorry I missed your post! I've never seen a cruise set up like that, fairly certain it's aftermarket add on as opposed to dealer installed. If you can read the info on the tags a schematic or installation instructions may be online. Post up pics of the tags I'll help you look. To work it'll have to have power, key on power, ground, and be hooked to the brake lights, and possibly the parking brake indicator. It will also need a speed signal, either tied into the trucks sensor, or have it's own sensor on the driveshaft somewhere.

As for the horn, my book is not new enough to get wire colors for your truck. What color are they at the button? They may be the same color in the column harness.

Next, are you SURE that truck is a 97? Do you have an OBD II port under the dash? Ok, missed it being an F-350. Not important on year question, though still curious.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles