Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > Garage and Tool Zone

Garage and Tool Zone Tool discussion, or anything pertaining to your garage.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:51 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Solar Powered Battery Charger

I bought one of these about a year ago for a not-ford, since it stays parked in the street, and I don't want to run a cord. After 6 months of sitting in the street, the car started right up. I was impressed, so I bought one for my '78 ford, since it stays parked in the street also.

It was a 1.8 watt solar charger from NAPA for $36.00. The beauty of the '78 is that the cigarette lighter is hot all the time, so I just plugged the charger into the cigarette lighter. Easy Peazy.

The newer cars don't have an active cigarette lighter when the ignition switch is off, so I used alligator clips from the inside to the battery(provided).

Here is the caveat; these are NOT intended to charge a battery, but rather to maintain a fully charged battery. A full battery charge is necessary before using the solar powered charger.

Thus far, I'm impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
When the bronco and thunder were parked outside, I used some cheapo box store 'maintainer' as well. These are rides that would run for maybe 5 minutes every 6-12 months. Never had an issue either. Now that everything is inside though, I've swapped over to battery tender jr's...but they're more expensive.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Old 04-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
I would go with Battery Tender also if I could keep them in a garage.

Quote:
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Old 04-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Oilfield Trash

mrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEB Ben View Post
When the bronco and thunder were parked outside, I used some cheapo box store 'maintainer' as well. These are rides that would run for maybe 5 minutes every 6-12 months. Never had an issue either. Now that everything is inside though, I've swapped over to battery tender jr's...but they're more expensive.
You need to watch when they go on sale, I snagged 6 of them for $24.99 each at batteries plus a few years ago. I kept two on Whitey out in the yard under the hood on an extension cord, never an issue. As a matter of fact the SXS and 4 wheeler as well as my boat all were outside on extension cords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFXDLI View Post
Had to look that up, never really cared for that type of music.

Lester

08 F350 PSD Lariet, CC, LWB, 4X4, DRW, White
Stock

When Dodge and GM build something that will compete with the F450, we'll talk.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:03 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
I have the solar panel maintainer on some farm equiptment.they work great. They live out
At the one farm with no electric service. Had a big solar panel that would charge batteries in a day but it got broken. The older panels were so fragile it wasn't even funny.
Randy
Old 04-10-2017, 08:12 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
You need to watch when they go on sale, I snagged 6 of them for $24.99 each at batteries plus a few years ago. I kept two on Whitey out in the yard under the hood on an extension cord, never an issue. As a matter of fact the SXS and 4 wheeler as well as my boat all were outside on extension cords.
Daaaaang...I don't exactly remember what I paid, but I wanted to say $50-60.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Old 04-10-2017, 08:17 PM
Oilfield Trash

mrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond repute
$21.99

https://powerwerx.com/battery-tender...f8BRoCYnjw_wcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFXDLI View Post
Had to look that up, never really cared for that type of music.

Lester

08 F350 PSD Lariet, CC, LWB, 4X4, DRW, White
Stock

When Dodge and GM build something that will compete with the F450, we'll talk.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

Good to hear, Guys. Thank you.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-11-2017, 10:17 AM

Ole Green is on a distinguished road
Father Doug, sounds like you are being a bit shy. Your truck is beautiful, don't be afraid to parade her around more often! I think you would have no need for a battery charger. But on that subject has anyone done the research on the solar panel requirement to maintain a bank of travel trailer batteries?
Old 04-11-2017, 12:43 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

Thank you, Green. It used to be my daily driver before I retired. I work part-time now and I do a lot of driving to different sites, and I don't want to wear the truck out. Plus, some of the places I go to aren't exactly paved roads.

I haven't researched solar battery chargers for RV's. We do some camping with a 5th wheel, but it is usually only 3 days at a time, so I haven't found it necessary to worry about keeping 2 batteries charged.

Quote:
Quote: