Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Source for a factory topper lid - '93 Ranger

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Can someone provide some info for a source for the glass on the back lid of 1993 Ford Ranger factory topper. The back glass was broken out sometime over the weekend with a rock.

I can't find a manufacturer on the topper, but I am assuming it would either be Leer or Snugtop. I am looking for the manufacturer or information on glass replacement. The lid frame is still good.

The truck is a 1993 Ford Ranger SWB 4WD styleside.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I could be mistaken, but I don't believe there was a true factory topper for that truck.

Dealer may have sold one on it new, but I'd guess it's an aftermarket brand (Leer, ARE, etc)...whoever made it might be your best bet for new pats.

(Prepare for sticker shock, too- there was a free topper in CL a while ago, just needed a hinge for the rear window. I forget the price, but I decided against picking the thing up.)

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thank you, Ian and Randy. I assumed it was factory because it matched the color of the rest of the truck. It certainly could have been dealer installed.

The couple glass shops in this area don't do camper shell glass. They say it is hard to find glass to match......? That might be their way of saying they don't want to mess with it.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I've never seen or heard of a factory canopy. And I'd venture a guess that the reason the glass shops around you can't help can be summed up with two words. Tempered glass.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I don't have an easy answer short of hoping to find another top for cheep or shop, shop shop and hope that somehow, the manufacturer or a 3rd party might have that glass. The problem I ran into with tempered glass cut to a custom size and shape is no local shop can temper it, and tempered glass can't be cut after being tempered, it must first be cut and then tempered, And that's the rub, the latter, the $ to do it. There is a very large lot here that deals almost exclusively clean, newer to late model trucks; they remove the canopy from every truck they get and sell them for outstanding prices (maybe, $100 - $200). Clean an d exceptional trucks in the first place, you get the idea on the canopies. I know it's a long way to drive but....need more info?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I don't have an easy answer short of hoping to find another top for cheep or shop, shop shop and hope that somehow, the manufacturer or a 3rd party might have that glass. The problem I ran into with tempered glass cut to a custom size and shape is no local shop can temper it, and tempered glass can't be cut after being tempered, it must first be cut and then tempered, And that's the rub, the latter, the $ to do it. There is a very large lot here that deals almost exclusively clean, newer to late model trucks; they remove the canopy from every truck they get and sell them for outstanding prices (maybe, $100 - $200). Clean an d exceptional trucks in the first place, you get the idea on the canopies. I know it's a long way to drive but....need more info?

Thank you for the info, Bill. I shall waffle for awhile.

Why not have a piece of lexan or plexi glass cut to put in its place just to get you by until you can find a suitable replacement.

That's a thought.

Ford Truck Articles