Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Superduties & Other Trucks > Bronco

Bronco Full Size Bronco Discussion

Old 09-20-2011, 06:16 PM
FTFS Designated DRINKER!

TexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond repute
Smog pump bypass?

I've been having a real problem with a noisy belt/Pulley on my Bronco first new belt then new idler then tensioner then cussing.
Starting to think its coming from the smog pump so I thought maybe I could just get a smaller belt and just bypass the bastard but what new fresh hell could that unleash on my bronco? I remember my dad doing it to our 86 f150 as soon as he got it home from the lot and never seemed to have a problem, any one have any other ideas how to track down a noisy pulley on a Serpentine system?
Its coming from the passenger side of the engine.
Did I mention getting it wet makes it stop.
Also I'm getting weird smelling fuel fumes when the engine is running but I cant find a single sign of a fuel leak any where So I'm thinking something is going south with that Smog pump just really don't feel like coughing up money to get a new one.
Thanks yall I gotta split and head to Oklahoma city.
02 Ranger Edge 4x4 4.0

Tex the AK-toting Liyote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2011, 08:35 PM
GingaNinja

5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute
depends on how your belt is routed.. i was able to delete the smog pump on my flareside and just get a smaller belt and had no issues.. some belt routings require a smog delete pulley in its place...

Old 09-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
To locate noises, you can use a garden hose or some type of tubing. Hold it to your ear and move the other end around to each pulley. You may look ridiculous doing it, but you'll find the noise and won't get your head caught in the fan.

Ryan
Old 09-20-2011, 10:12 PM
GingaNinja

5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Rattlecan View Post
To locate noises, you can use a garden hose or some type of tubing. Hold it to your ear and move the other end around to each pulley. You may look ridiculous doing it, but you'll find the noise and won't get your head caught in the fan.

Ryan
may get the hose caught in it though.. lol...

Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 AM
Texas Chapter Leader

Truckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond repute
I use the garden hose trick from time to time...

Tex, im not sure on the 5.0 but i know the 5.8 you can run a shorter belt and just bypass it, worth a bit of looking into. I used to know the measurement off hand but its likely different for the 5l anyway...

Bacon is GOOD!

1995 F-250 "stock" 351winnie, zf5 and 37" rubbers....
(KIA)

Don
Old 09-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
If it is in fact a pulley, pull the belt off, and see/feel how the pulleys spin. If a bearing is going bad in one, you should feel a rough spot. You said when it gets wet, it goes away...first, that would incline me to believe it's the belt, but if it's not, start spraying down each pulley with WD-40/water/etc. until the sound goes away, and find which one it is by process of elimination.

As for bypassing the smog pump, people remove them all the time...so bypassing it should be no problem. I'm not sure what the belt routing is, so you may need a dumby pulley setup there...but I doubt it. Then the only issue is finding the correct length belt, figuring out how to re-route it, and reprogramming the rig to run without it.

The fuel smell...any cat converters remaining? Fuel injector o-rings leaking???

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Old 09-21-2011, 02:10 PM
official Lucas dealer

Ton van der Sluijs has a spectacular aura aboutTon van der Sluijs has a spectacular aura aboutTon van der Sluijs has a spectacular aura about
hi guys
this is the way I dissolved the problem; I've machined a bracket and a shaft on ball bearings.

I've dismantled the smogpump, and the rollerbearings were both running in grease and dust..(bad constructed vanepunp)

best regards Ton

Last edited by Ton van der Sluijs; 09-21-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 PM

greystreak92 is a name known to allgreystreak92 is a name known to allgreystreak92 is a name known to allgreystreak92 is a name known to allgreystreak92 is a name known to allgreystreak92 is a name known to all
Removal of the smog pump will affect O2 sensor readings and cause a LEAN condition causing the premature failure of spark plugs. Don't kid yourselves into thinking that just arbitrarily removing part of a system that well integrated into the operation of the engine will have no effect on things. The loss of air injection to the exhaust at the heads affects the O2 sensor and the computer WILL compensate by leaning out the fuel mixture and advancing spark timing. But then if you like replacing spark plugs and don't mind superheating the cylinder walls with the increased spark advance, go for it. Just fix the smog pump. It ALWAYS astounds me that people simply refuse to believe that these components have an effect on the way the system functions. Yes, the computer will compensate for it but so you might not actually FEEL the difference but its doing damage... period. Do as you will. I'll keep the equipment intact and my EEC-IV running as it was designed to if only to extend the life of my engine.

1992 Bronco XLT (deceased)
1993 Bronco XLT 5.0, E4OD (for now)
1992 F-150 XL 4.9, M5OD (for now)
and a couple of non-Ford toys

Big Bronco FAQ's

Last edited by greystreak92; 09-23-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:03 PM
GingaNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystreak92 View Post
Removal of the smog pump will affect O2 sensor readings and cause a LEAN condition causing the premature failure of spark plugs. Don't kid yourselves into thinking that just arbitrarily removing part of a system that well integrated into the operation of the engine will have no effect on things. The loss of air injection to the exhaust at the heads affects the O2 sensor and the computer WILL compensate by leaning out the fuel mixture and advancing spark timing. But then if you like replacing spark plugs and don't mind superheating the cylinder walls with the increased spark advance, go for it. Just fix the smog pump. It ALWAYS astounds me that people simply refuse to believe that these components have an effect on the way the system functions. Yes, the computer will compensate for it but so you might not actually FEEL the difference but its doing damage... period. Do as you will. I'll keep the equipment intact and my EEC-IV running as it was designed to if only to extend the life of my engine.
sorry but i completely disagree.. these systems dont get bothered hardly if at all.. i know a guy that put a rebuilt stock 351W in his truck and removed EGR and Smog pump and he's put well over 200k miles on it since he put the new engine in 7 years ago and has never had an issue and is constantly hauling..

I built my 351W in my old Flareside and removed the smog pump and blocked off the EGR and to this day with the new owner there are no illeffects..

i totally dissagree..

and also, for bout 2 weeks i was running arond in the flareside with open headers and no O2 sensor hooked up and it ran fine.. not rich or lean or anything..

Old 09-24-2011, 02:43 AM
official Lucas dealer

Ton van der Sluijs has a spectacular aura aboutTon van der Sluijs has a spectacular aura aboutTon van der Sluijs has a spectacular aura about
Goodmorning y'all
The smog is the biggest crap I've ever seen on an engine in 35 years!!
The smog blows fresh air in the system two positions; under 2000revs just after the cat and above 2000revs straight on the exhaustvalves IN THE OPPOSITE WAY OF THE GASSTREAM!! How stupid can that be!! Because that cold ray of air blows exxentric on the valves, they will deform..
The cold air lowers also the exhaust gastemperature and moist in the muffler will shorten life of it. My truck is just 7 years in Holland.. One can see that all the bolts and nuts are undamaged, exept those of the exhaustpipe/headers... they are worn; I had to machine new ones. It tells me that the exhaustpipes are replaced a lot.

I've blinded off the EGR as well and MPG is improved, smoother run, more power and my engine remains clean. when I bought her, a thick layer of tar was in the inletmanifolds and the valves were damaged by all the tart what was sticking on the valves.
Let it be clear; an EGR is a gov. thing , only for the environment.
without the EGR, the O2 shall always cooperate with the EEC to reach the stochiometric value of 1:14,7 gas/air.
The inert gasses from the EGR lowers your combustionspeed (actually your timing retards) lowers the combustiontemp (powerloss) and because there's a natural law that say's " to keep a body on a certain speed, a certain amount of energy is needed to maintain on that speed". In other words, when the EGR is on duty, one shall push the acceleratorpedal deeper to keep speed. when I blinded it off, the first thing what I spotted, was the the pedal stood higher at same speed.
Now, they say that the EGR takes care for a lower NOx, okay? but when it messes your combustion, more fuel goes thru the engine and a lot of unburned will leave the tailpipe.
One must not forget, that the carmanufacturers and the oilcompany sleeping in oneand the same bed!! If your car can cope the environmental demands, it's okay and if the fuelconsumption rises, it's super to them!! All Gore happy, oilbosses happy, and as an extra bonus for the aftermarket sales, more work to do for carmechanics and more parts to sell.
Cars, oil and environment is pure politic games and we, as ordinary people are the"milkcows"of the governments.

This summer I've installed a woodburner in the house and 20cubic yard of wood behind the house is waiting to get burned this winter.... Environment? To leave a tree rotting away for years seems to make more CO2 than a quick burn in a burner... the Nuon(dutch natural gas company) shall not become rich over my back. but that was offtopic!!

best regards Ton