Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > Garage and Tool Zone

Garage and Tool Zone Tool discussion, or anything pertaining to your garage.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Chief Chaotic Engineer

Location: Malfunction Junction, Fidelity MO -or- Mound City, KS
mrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond repute
I used to keep a 3' bungee hanging from the rafter above my work area, so that when I pulled one of "THOSE" cars with the flimsy prop rod, I used it to lift the hood almost straight up. This gave me more room to work, and better yet: more light in the engine compartment.
-Tom, 98 F150 Lariat 2wd 3door / 84 E350
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Ford Truck Fanatic Administrator

Admin

Fellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond repute
One my friend has told me, but I have yet to try, is use iodine for getting rusty motors unstuck. You put the iodine in the plug holes, then let it sit for a few days, then come back and the rust should be gone. This is something I need to try, got a few that are stuck this way...
Old 07-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Oilfield Trash

mrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond repute
Installing cam bearings can be a pain (press fit) however it can be done without special tools quite easily. Methanol and dry ice will turn them sub zero and shrink them where they will slip in by hand. This works on any thing press fit with less than .003" interfereance fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFXDLI View Post
Had to look that up, never really cared for that type of music.

Lester

08 F350 PSD Lariet, CC, LWB, 4X4, DRW, White
Stock

When Dodge and GM build something that will compete with the F450, we'll talk.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Ford Truck Fanatic Administrator

Admin

Fellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond reputeFellro has a reputation beyond repute
Never thought of that, used it to install dry sleeves in the tractor years ago...
Old 07-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Oilfield Trash

mrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond repute
Liquid Nitrogen is the product of choice, but methanol and dry ice is far cheaper and just as effective for the home user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFXDLI View Post
Had to look that up, never really cared for that type of music.

Lester

08 F350 PSD Lariet, CC, LWB, 4X4, DRW, White
Stock

When Dodge and GM build something that will compete with the F450, we'll talk.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:56 AM
Chief Chaotic Engineer

mrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond repute
Also works wonders on a warm sixpack.... when ya want it cold in a hurry!
Old 08-05-2007, 07:56 AM

bobf100 is a glorious beacon of lightbobf100 is a glorious beacon of lightbobf100 is a glorious beacon of lightbobf100 is a glorious beacon of lightbobf100 is a glorious beacon of lightbobf100 is a glorious beacon of light
Along the same lines as Lester's tip of using nitrogen or dry ice. I'm rebuilding the front axle assembly on my "other" project truck. Completely disassembled it, sandblasted and in the process of re-assembly. I'm keeping the original ball bearings as they are in excellent shape so the bearings come in three pieces, inner and outer race and the actual ball assembly. Painted the hubs black but needed to press the wheel bearing races back into the finished hubs. Put the outer bearing races into the freezer and placed the hubs on my asphalt driveway. When the hubs were too hot to touch (it was near 100 degrees yesterday) I quickly retreved the races from the freezer and damn near dropped them into place. Took a slight tap to get them seated. Not even a scratch on the new paint!!!
1957 3100 Telephone truck
http://community.webshots.com/user/bobsclassictrucks

We the willing - lead by the unknowing - are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much for so long with so little that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
good thinking! That's a great idea.

Ryan
Old 08-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Chief Chaotic Engineer

I can see it now... Ryan's pants laying out on the driveway; His parents asking what's wrong, and WHY is their son huddled up in the freezer???

"P-p-p-pants don't f-f-f-fit nooooo mm-m-m-ore!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:15 PM
half fast mechanic

str8racing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
I'll start this, then if anyone wants to sticky or tech folder this, cool, everyone post their homegrown how to's here.

My first one is on drill sharpening, any 2 hex nuts placed together is close enough to use as a gauge for hand sharpening a drill bit. More to come.
can you explain this one i'm drawing a blank?