Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

the "green machine" '93 4.0 4x4

racsan

4xford
finally done moving and caught up on things to be able to get online again, didnt realize id been away for so long, been remodeling, clearing brush, still doing my "day" job and been keeping 3 vehicles on the road, and 2 old deere mowers going. going to put the cap back on in a few weeks, been nice having it off for some projects and the move, but its nice to have a dry cargo area at time too when it rains....

racsan

4xford
using it like a tractor here on the farm, (and why not?, 160hp, 4wd, its the best "tractor" i have!) pulling the wagon down to the treeline to offload some brush, got 2 big stacks of firewood now, seems crazy to cut wood when its in the 80's, but it will be nice if i can have what i need by winter and just be able to stay inside...

racsan

4xford
Well like any 20+ year old truck in the "rust belt", time and salt have been taking its toll, found the receiver hitch wasnt safe to use anymore. Well i didnt wasnt to put $100+ in a new hitch, but i knew i had plenty of steel laying around as well as a tractor drawbar. So i got out the tape, a torch and fired up the welder. Ended up with a pretty nice fixed drawbar frame hitch. The steel channel iron used is from a old brillion culitimulcher. It is welded together and bolted to the truck frame. The drawbar is bolted in, could be swapped out for a long 2x2 to make it a receiver hitch again, but the ball seems to be the right height so why bother. I painted it in the "brillion iron works" colors of red/dark green.

racsan

4xford
well, the majority of the steel used to be a brillion cultimulcher, (farm equipment used before planting) its colors are bright red and dark green, i thought id use the brillion colors, heck if i could ger a brillion decal, id put it on! ha ha. i just happened to have those huge eye bolts laying arond that work excellent for safety chains, they have a 5/8" stud on them, plenty strong for sure! :)

racsan

4xford
green machine now gone.....

well, its been awhile, update on "the green machine", its gone. i guess at some point its time to say goodbye to a favorite ride. 6 months after the last post in this thread i went to replace the front axleshaft u-joints. when i got to the right side i found out that the frame had a major hole in it, right behind the shock tower, 1 week later the seal on the pitman arm end of the steering box failed, no power steering, with really wide tires. ouch! so as much as i hated to, i took off everything i could save that was bolted on and put the truck in the front yard. it sold in late october, it sounded like the buyer was going to fix the issues and drive it, havent seen it since it left though. about a month later i found a "barn find". not what i was wanting, but too good a deal to say no to. its a '92 reg cab longbed, 2.3 5speed manual, 3.73's, cap, visor,running boards. been sitting in a garage for 2 years. under 100,000 miles. for 1,500. now its not without its issues, its got a compression problem and wont get over 20 mpg, and thats driving it like a 4 speed. use overdrive and mpg drops to 17, heck, my 4.0 4x4 got that-sometimes 18! its white with a gold lower two-tone, has a polar bear mural on the tailgate. i call it the "polar express" no a/c but does have cruise control. and then there is my newest purchace. brought it home on a tow dolly using my '92 as a tow vehicle. its a '97 reg cab longbed 3.0 automatic 2wd with 3.45 gears. doesnt run, body in excellent shape, was told trans slips in 1st. yeah, sounds like a whole lot of issues, has 180K miles. but for $500, im thinking i could do something with it. it appears to not be getting fuel, once i get it running i plan on changing the trans if it really needs it and swapping the rear axle out to a 8.8 with 4.10's. i think gearing is the biggest issue with the 3.0, it makes its horsepower at 5,000 rpm but the final gearing and overdrive have it cruising at 55 mph at around 1,600 rpm. im hoping lower gears will help it out. im going to try and use it as a work truck, might build it into something bigger later, heard that cummins is offering a 2.8 4 cyl diesel crate engine soon. 160 hp-dont know a price or what trans i could use, but this ranger might be a good platform to start a build. for now i just want to try and get it driveable, work on my aneamic 2.3 and keep it out of the salt. still miss the green machine, was my favorite of everyhing ive ever owned. but thats life.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I know what salt does to my trucks and cars. The bed on my ranger needs replaced nothing left to even thinking about patching. The 86 2.3 I had with 4wheel drive was lucky to get 18mpg. Thought it was a engine problem so I swapped a 2.3 out of a mustang into it and still struggled to get 18mph. The 4.0 gets that easy way more power. I think you had to run the 2.3 so hard it killed the mileage.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
..... its a '97 reg cab longbed 3.0 automatic 2wd with 3.45 gears. doesnt run, body in excellent shape, was told trans slips in 1st. yeah, sounds like a whole lot of issues, has 180K miles. but for $500, im thinking i could do something with it. .......

^^^ Like, find a rolled 5.0 Explorer for $3-500 and scoop up a 4.0 Ranger rear axle with an 8.8 and 3.73's or 4.10's in back, and do what comes naturally. ;)

Ford Truck Articles