Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Superduties & Other Trucks > Bronco

Bronco Full Size Bronco Discussion

Old 02-25-2014, 10:08 PM
medic2DaResq

Medic2DaResq is on a distinguished road
NEED HELP with steering column issues

I have a 1993 full size bronco,for about the last 6 months, while driving, I hear a sound from the steering wheel that sounds like a spring tightening.I hadent noticed any issues until just recently. While turning the wheel it feels like the steering wheel loosens for just a second then tightens back up, while this takes place I have noticed delay in the vehicle actually turning. Two days ago my horn began honking whenever steering wheel is turned or on bumpy road. I know there actually is a spring inside column and was told it'd be just as easy to change out entire steering column,not sure about that, please any advice would be very helpful.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:14 PM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
The spring in the column is called the clockspring, and it's not *that* hard to change. It's not a 15 minute job, but the difficulty level isn't that high.

How much resistance do you feel regarding the spring sensation? Is it minor in comparison to the normal amount you push/pull while turning?

Ryan
Old 02-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
Here is a thread about replacing the clockspring that we were speaking of before, but I have serious doubt that you'd be able to feel much of a difference if the spring was busted.

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7399

Ryan