Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rust

So 9 years ago I installed a Transfer flow 46 gal fuel tank, I like it but the paint has fallen off and the tank is showing rust. I thought I pull it off and paint it, well let say it was not as easy to pull and it was to install.
I started with Hand tools move to air tools and lastly the Saw all,
6 Hours to remove. ( did mention that I did this in my not flat drive way) Today writing this I am shore all over and yes I bleed.
So the tank is out and the mounting hardware removed, I am look at the bottom of the truck and there is rust everywhere. I live in the North East.
and they like to use deicer here. I'm thinking what have I gotten myself into here. So I get the Plastic tank back in and the truck is up and running. I have some work to do on the steel tank it going to take time.
So wen it's done, there is still the under body to work on.
What does one do about the rust. 1. do noting, 2. Sand blast,
3. Spray ( Some kind of rust remover or converter) or something else.
and then that work has to be protected. (spray on under body something)

So what to do. Looking for you input. Thanks John

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I moved your post to the Superduty Gen 1 forum for more exposure...I'd consider something like POR15 for a straightforward easier fix...sand or beadblasting winds up being a lot of work.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Depends on how rusty it is, if its past saving like mega scale crust it may be worth doing nothing. I usually powerwash my trucks when I get em, and get like 100 cans of undercoating and go to town....

I don't think it past saving. I seen worse. but it's there and I don't what it to look like a rusted old truck, with holes in the panels, bumper

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ever seen those trucks with just pickup beds on them? At this point, add up what your time is worth, as opposed to putting on another bed.

Ford Truck Articles