Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Limp-Home mode wrench

So Tues on the way to San Antonio, the orange wrench came on after maybe five or ten minutes of using the cruise control, and stayed on for the entire highway portion of the trip. As soon as we stopped for required snacks and started the truck again, it was off, but reappeared once we were cruising down the highway. Tues and Wed in town, no wrench - Wed afternoon on the highway back, it was there, staring at me.

Is this normal? What is it doing/affecting? What do I do to fix it?

Thanks to all in advance!

Last edited:

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Pull your codes yet?

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I believe wrench is caused by defueling by 1 or more of these 4 things

Exceeding 95mph
Exceeding 4000 rpms
Exceeding 221 degrees coolant
Exceeding 251 degrees oil
And if u have a newer flash i think it has one for overboost too. Which can be caused by sticking turbo veins among other things

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Generally, wrench lights are trans related. With no driveability issues, trans temperature sensor would be my first guess, without knowing any dtcs.

I don't have a code reader, so I guess I'll be relying on the dealership when I take her in. As far as the transmission temp sensor, is it a fairly simple task to replace, or does it require an engineering degree?

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts