Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New to Ford pickups and have a tranny question

Hello,
I am new to Fords but have come to like the 67-72 pickups, know a little about Chevys and have a owned an older Chevy pickup.
I am looking at purchasing a 67 f250 with an automatic transmission. Can anybody tell me about the automatic trannys on the 67 f250. I am looking forward to hearing from anyone who might have any info good or bad on this this tranny. I was generally looking for an f250 with a standard tranny but I kind of like the idea of an automatic.
Thanks,
Anthony

Last edited:
the automatics are easier to drive. my dad has a 69/72 highboy f250 has the standard and he hates it because he has to shift all the time and it has manual steering. i like the autos as well

Fellro

Staff member
It all depends in what you want from the truck. You lose one gear, but you don't have to continually clutch. They have their good points and bad points. For heavy tow I prefer manuals, due to better rpm and shift point control, along with durability. For general light use, autos are nicer.

Thanks for the info. I like the automatic. Going to use for typically light duty. Have to work on the adjustments, it slips out of Park to Reverse sometimes and wont start unless I move the lever towards Reverse.
Might this be an worn out part in the column?

Fellro

Staff member
The older columns have a bit of a history with the columns comibg out of park and giing into reverse. My 75 did it to me once on a slope, used a GMC to stop it... There had been law suits about that very problem. It can be wear, but it also is a bit of a flaw as well. I think you are old enough that the switch is not on the tranny. If by chance it is, you can adjust a little for the starting issue.

oldandbroke

Texas Chapter member
I have a 68 F 100, and the lock is in the column, and yes they have history of popping out of park. mine does not lock at all, exercise the parking brake..
The neutral switch is also on the column.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
1965/67 F100/350 352's and 1965/72 F350's with 300 I-6 use MX Cruise-O-Matic.

C6 introduced in 1968 F100/250 2WD's and F350's with 360/390's.

No A/T was available with 4WD until 1973.

1965/77: NSS located on the steering column / 1978/79: NSS located on the trans, C4 uses a different NSS than the C6.

People make the mistake of putting the gearshift lever into park before setting the parking brake. This causes the truck to roll...just enough that the parking pawl inside the trans locks up.

When this occurs, the lever has to be YANKED out of park. Mounted to the bottom of the upper flange is a detent. The tab on the shift lever fits in between the individual gates of the detent.

When the lever is yanked out of park, sooner or later the gate between park and reverse snaps off.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles