Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

will it hurt to sit?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
We own a 2002 F-350 diesel. 4x4, with automatic tranny, and 9600 miles. It sits long periods of time, around 2-5 months at a time. And the rare times it is drivin, it is only for 10-20 miles. It gets filled up to around 1/4 to 1/2 tank of diesel once a year or so. My question is, will it hurt anything to let it sit like this? Anything we should be worried about?

blacksnapon

Staff member
We own a 2002 F-350 diesel. 4x4, with automatic tranny, and 9600 miles. It sits long periods of time, around 2-5 months at a time. And the rare times it is drivin, it is only for 10-20 miles. It gets filled up to around 1/4 to 1/2 tank of diesel once a year or so. My question is, will it hurt anything to let it sit like this? Anything we should be worried about?
The 7.3 isn't as sensitive as the 6.0 on this. It will be like any gas motor as far as non-use is concerned.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Aside from being a waste of a truck (I'll borrow it) I'm no expert on what is good/bad for it. It should be run a LITTLE more than that though.

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Vince (or anyone else)-

What about condensation in the fuel tank leading to water in the fuel?

I'm drawing a blank on how diesel fuel and water interact...but the one time I was in Tennessee (July), it sure was humid enough for condensation to form.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Holy crap! You guys need to drive that thing more. Are you at least using diesel fuel treatments in the tank while I sits?

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
idk if they make stabil for diesels might be worth looking into though...
That would be my only concern and the oil should be changed every once in awhile, not at 3k miles or whatever, but every couple of months...
Maybe every 2 times you drive it, if its every 3 or 4 months.

Also diesel and water dont mix.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Vince (or anyone else)-

What about condensation in the fuel tank leading to water in the fuel?

I'm drawing a blank on how diesel fuel and water interact...but the one time I was in Tennessee (July), it sure was humid enough for condensation to form.
The water/fuel separator on top of the engine will take care of the condensation. It needs to be drained occasionally.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
idk if they make stabil for diesels might be worth looking into though...
That would be my only concern and the oil should be changed every once in awhile, not at 3k miles or whatever, but every couple of months...
Maybe every 2 times you drive it, if its every 3 or 4 months.

Also diesel and water dont mix.

It's only had one oil change, since we have owned it. That was in '05 I believe.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
The water/fuel separator on top of the engine will take care of the condensation. It needs to be drained occasionally.

It has one of those? [confused]

Where is it? lol :headbang:

oh, and sorry for all the posts...I couldn't get multi-quote working.

blacksnapon

Staff member
It has one of those? [confused]

Where is it? lol :headbang:

oh, and sorry for all the posts...I couldn't get multi-quote working.
Center, top, just behind the skinny rectangular reservoir. It has a circular waffle looking lid. That is the secondary fuel filter housing. On the backside, down low, there is a lever that will shift from one side to the other, draining the water. It will come out on the passenger side, low front of the engine (if the drain tube is hooked up).

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Center, top, just behind the skinny rectangular reservoir. It has a circular waffle looking lid. That is the secondary fuel filter housing. On the backside, down low, there is a lever that will shift from one side to the other, draining the water. It will come out on the passenger side, low front of the engine (if the drain tube is hooked up).

Ok, I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

Thanks for the help!

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
02 7.3 9600 miles. How much do you want for this truck? let me know. I'll drive to Tennessee tomorrow with cash. Cash and trade a 04 F350 srw lwb cc 4x4

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
**Offer #2

Are you chitting about the miles on that vehicle? Cuz if it's for real, I too am interested in buying it, with cash (ie, crisp franklins and no bank loan crap involved). No trades here, just an agreed to price; I fly in on a Boeing product, meet up, pay in green paper cash, mom/dad sign over the title, and I drive home some 4,000 miles or so. Simple and easy business transaction. I've been keeping my eyes pealed for a well kept 7.3 with low miles.

Last edited:

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
**Offer #2

Are you chitting about the miles on that vehicle? Cuz if it's for real, I too am interested in buying it, with cash (ie, crisp franklins and no bank loan crap involved). No trades here, just an agreed to price; I fly in on a Boeing product, meet up, pay in green paper cash, mom/dad sign over the title, and I drive home some 4,000 miles or so. Simple and easy business transaction. I've been keeping my eyes pealed for a well kept 7.3 with low miles.

Since ya'll don't seem to believe me, I'll go out sometime this week and get a pic of the mileage with a thumbs up next to it....:D

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
You know when I READ the title of this thread I thought it was some way different lol!!!

I don't know how the hell cat get in there..

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts