Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Who makes the "Longest Lasting" Truck...

I read the following post on another site and couldn't think of a better way to pose the question;

"ok chevy has comercials that say they have the longest lasting trucks, ford says they are built ford tough, i saw a tundra comercial a while back talking about how long their trucks last, and today i saw a dodge comercial talking about how they have the longest lasting trucks. so titan when does your long lasting comercial air? lol. anyways everyone likes to make claims but the truth is it is hard to tell how long a truck will last. some are built better then others as we all know. also a lot of it depends what the truck will be used for. some trucks are used to work and others are driven around like a car. so who will have the longest lasting truck? well i say it can be any truck that sits in your driveway as long as you service it when it needs to and take care of it. "

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Around here, the only two things that kill trucks are abuse and rust.

So, if you assume abuse is more or less unrelated to brand, it comes down to what rusts out the fastest.

I see a lot more older, beat-up Fords and Chevies on the roads here than Dodges or Toyotas. Maybe a few more Chevies than Fords, but there are more new Chevies than Fords on the roads here, too.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
Around here, the only two things that kill trucks are abuse and rust.

So, if you assume abuse is more or less unrelated to brand, it comes down to what rusts out the fastest.

I see a lot more older, beat-up Fords and Chevies on the roads here than Dodges or Toyotas. Maybe a few more Chevies than Fords, but there are more new Chevies than Fords on the roads here, too.

im going to have to agree with Ian since we live in the same area. toyotas don't last at all up here. and if you see any mid 90's or older toyota truck its almost ALWAYS rusted to hell. there are a good amount of 90's and up dodges around here but they can't compete with chevy and for. there are more chevy's then fords by volume but i have seen a lot of really old fords and chevy's around. i would have to say its a tie between chevy and ford because ive seen some hard worked fords and chevy's that are in the80's 70's and 60's that are STILL kicking around.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
there are a good amount of 90's and up dodges around here

But when was the last time you saw a pre-'94 (or whenever they went to the new bodystyle) Dodge?

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
hahaha good point... there ARE NONE! WAIT no no no there is one! and thats beat to hell. its a landscaping truck :/

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Interesting question. I think it depends on the engine, model year, and what part of the country you're from. Dodge's out here can be incredibly durable- not unusual to see 500,000+ miles on them. I'm told they rust like crazy in other parts of the country. Ford's from 2-3 generations ago had legendary durability- look at my resale comments on the older trucks. Ford's don't bring the money because... they're still too many on the road. 30 yr old Chebbies are a real rarity (they rusted like crazy).

The real question is, what about the newer ones? The new 6.7 Cummins has been extremely problematic thus far. Too bad, because the motor was the best part of the truck. Chebbies D-Max, in spite of the naysayers, has proven itself to be durable and reliable. Possibly second only to the prior-gen Cummins. And what about the new Ford 6.4? A little soon to tell.

But when was the last time you saw a pre-'94 (or whenever they went to the new bodystyle) Dodge?

This morning lol? I like the square bodystyle dodge (looks like a truck should), but I dont know if the 318/360s in those trucks lasted?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I was mostly talkin' to Travis, who lives kinda near me (in rust country). Though there is one that's been for sale off and on around here for about a year...patched fenders but otherwise solid body.

First (or maybe second) vehicle I ever drove by myself was an '85 Dodge W-250... (I'm not sure if it's good or bad that I learned to drive in vehicles so awful that even nostalgia won't make me buy one in another 20 years...but that's for another thread, another day.)

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
This morning lol? I like the square bodystyle dodge (looks like a truck should), but I dont know if the 318/360s in those trucks lasted?

Yeah they did. I had a customer up on the North Slope of Alaska that swore by those things. Crappy bodies, squeaked and creaked from day one to day last- but you couldn't kill them. He personally drove Chevy's, but bought only Dodge's for the oilfield operations because they got the snot beat out of 'em and came back for more.

Likeastone

Mrs. O'Rattlecan
Missouri
mom drives a toyota tundra (it kills me when i need to take it out for something) but i do not think it is all it is cracked up to be. she read in consumer reports that it is supposed to be good but there is a list of things that has gone wrong with it. she drove a '91 lincoln continental which is the worst year, make, and model for a car and vows to never own another ford again. she hates it when i talk about my little car and how it is three years older than her big bad truck and has less problems!

mom drives a toyota tundra (it kills me when i need to take it out for something) but i do not think it is all it is cracked up to be. she read in consumer reports that it is supposed to be good but there is a list of things that has gone wrong with it. she drove a '91 lincoln continental which is the worst year, make, and model for a car and vows to never own another ford again. she hates it when i talk about my little car and how it is three years older than her big bad truck and has less problems!

What year Tundra???

Ford MADE me switch with the way they treated me concerning the 2nd transmission on my Super Duty. (1st at 40,000 miles , 2nd at 70,000 miles)

My '07 Tundra has had 0 problems in 20,000 miles.....not ONE trip to the dealership, still as tight and quiet as new.

I've read of the teething problems concerning the Tundra.....I have also read of the problems of PSD's, the 150's, burning GM trucks (they're always trying to copy Ford:) ) There is no perfect vehicle, but in my recent experiences with Ford......which also includes an '07 Lincoln that has left us stranded 3 times in a year (need one more for the lemon law) I'm a tad battle scarred.

I still own the Super Duty (along with a total of 6 Ford products) and have become less and less blinded by brand loyalty as the years and info come in.

Trust me, any problems with the Toy will be published for all to see.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yep...I'm pretty anti-Toyota, but a friend has an '01 Tundra with the 4.7 that's still really tight and rattle free. Been reliable for the year or so he's owned it, and doesn't suck hardly any more gas than his old 3.0 Ranger.

I give him crap about his choice, but I can't honestly say anything bad about the vehicle. If the body holds up as well as it seems to, I'm sure it'll run a LONG time.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
my dads truck has 325k+ miles on it currently. its a 97 at that to (f150)
The things we've replaced are a tranny CASE, orignal tranny parts minus seals.
Alternator,
Fan clutch.
Thats it.
well of course tires adn other maintence things.

We've used the chit out of it too. Alot of towing weigh over its GVW including our 67, the bed is so beat you can see the frame rail outline in the sheetmetal of the bed.

The outside of the body, besides brush scratches, is perfect.

Likeastone

Mrs. O'Rattlecan
Missouri
it is an '01 with 55k miles on it. I told her that she was not allowed to drive it on the 4th of July. She gave me a dirty look and said "well toyota makes products in America" I just simply told her that Ford is the American symbol. it is unamerican to drive anything else =)

Yep...I'm pretty anti-Toyota, but a friend has an '01 Tundra with the 4.7 that's still really tight and rattle free. Been reliable for the year or so he's owned it, and doesn't suck hardly any more gas than his old 3.0 Ranger.

I give him crap about his choice, but I can't honestly say anything bad about the vehicle. If the body holds up as well as it seems to, I'm sure it'll run a LONG time.

it is an '01 with 55k miles on it. I told her that she was not allowed to drive it on the 4th of July. She gave me a dirty look and said "well toyota makes products in America" I just simply told her that Ford is the American symbol. it is unamerican to drive anything else =)

I wasn't a huge fan of the 1st generation Tundra, always thought it a tad small. But like a lot of Toyotas, their drivetrains seem to be well sorted out.

That 1st generation had its share of recalls concerning balljoints, some exhaust routing......

Like most Ford trucks, thought the brakes are on the smallish size.

As far as the American debate........I saw the little smiley, but Ford and GM are as global as the next company and would crap on an American auto worker to save a buck in a heart beat. (Chinese and Indian factories come to mind)

And obviously the current Tundra is built here not because of Toy's patriotism but also to make the most $$$ for its shareholders.

Likeastone

Mrs. O'Rattlecan
Missouri
I know they are just as global as anybody else, but they originated here. Despite ford's poor performance domestically, they sure do rock internationally. kind of backwards really...either way, they originated here and was kind of the American icon for a long time.

I know they are just as global as anybody else, but they originated here. Despite ford's poor performance domestically, they sure do rock internationally. kind of backwards really...either way, they originated here and was kind of the American icon for a long time.

Right on.......but I'm kind of a "what have you done for me lately" type of guy.

For instance:

My wife's Lincoln was assembled in Mexico (as was my '01 F-250) with 50% American content.

My Tundra was built in Texas with 75% American content.....

However, I tend to buy what I like at the time and not base it it on some psuedo patriotic guilt trip.

Have always thought military service more of an indicator of one's loyalty to his/her country.....not what car they bought; but that's just me.[confused]

Michigan
Well put Erica!

I use to be very bias towards BUYING AMERICAN MADE VEHICLES! but thats when i had both parents working for ford motor company. Gran it id love to see people driving ford, or an american brand of the sort, but id like to support my Moms, Dads, Great grandpas, Grandpa, grandpa, Uncle, Uncle, Great uncle, and moms cousins pensions.

As for the Longest Lasting truck, I cant see how any one brand can say they last the longest. Ive seen chevys have over a quarter million miles on them and not one major problem, ive seen fords with the same mileage, and ive seen them blow up with less than 100K on the clock. It all depends on how it was takin care of.

Il always have at least one ford truck, but i wouldnt mind buying this 97 1500 Z71 Chevy down the road (drool)

Well put Erica!

I use to be very bias towards BUYING AMERICAN MADE VEHICLES! but thats when i had both parents working for ford motor company. Gran it id love to see people driving ford, or an american brand of the sort, but id like to support my Moms, Dads, Great grandpas, Grandpa, grandpa, Uncle, Uncle, Great uncle, and moms cousins pensions.

Of course you HAVE to be biased......your relatives' livelihood is counting on Ford.

But let me ask you a serious question:

What is more beneficial to the CURRENT American auto worker;

1) A Fusion/Milan/MKZ built in Mexico with 50% American content or:

2) A Camry, Honda, Nissan etc....built on U.S. soil using greater than 50% American content???

Even during your relatives' working years, Ford (as well as GM/Chrysler) were notorious for importing entire vehicles as well as engines/drivetrains/parts at the sake of the U.S. autoworker.

To sum it up:

If Ford, GM and the sometimes American Chrysler can buy Japanese; why can't we???

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts