Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Floor Jack rebuild?

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
Hope everyone is having a great weekend. I have a Sears 3 ton floor jack that won't hold the weight. It rises fine, but slowwwwly goes down. I'm thinking o-ring failure. Can these things be rebuilt or serviced, or is it a 50lb paper weight? Sears no longer sells nor makes parts for this unit from '96. Any ideas guys?

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
IMO Dave, throw it in the recycle Bin and replace it with a new one.Check with Harbor Frieght..I have had very good luck with Automotive equipment from them.

Fellro

Staff member
The sad truth is that most things like that which have been built in the last few decades were never intended to be fixed, they just pitch them and move on. If it just settles slowly, make use of jack stands, then it won't matter...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
IMO Dave, throw it in the recycle Bin and replace it with a new one.

I'd lean this way...but if you're determined to rebuild, just because sears stopped selling the parts...doesn't mean the parts aren't available. I'm 100% certain the 10 cent o-ring would be available somewhere, I'd bet Lowe's or Ace would have it. Worst case scenario, you pull it apart, find out nobody makes your o-ring and you buy another jack.

The o rings need to be "oil grade " . The black ones are for water. That said , I tried to find a set that would fit my floor jack and couldn't.
So I bought a new one from harbor freight. And I'm not much pleased with it but you get what you pay for.

The other problem I have with floor jacks is everything I have around here is 8" high or higher. Which means I can't jack up very high.:headbang:

Fellro

Staff member
I make extensions for those type needs. They actually build one with the extension for taller vehicles, but it is on a lighter duty jack...

I make extensions for those type needs. They actually build one with the extension for taller vehicles, but it is on a lighter duty jack...

Thats probably the one I've seen. I'm half tempted to modify a heavier jack with the extension plus some type of out rigger that will swing out for better stability.

Fellro

Staff member
I have had some that simply the act of disassembly and reassembly took care of whatever it was that ailed it... Had a brand new one get returned, and at the time, they just put them in the dumpster. I snagged it, opened it up, pumped it once with the check valve out, and now it works fine. It would settle about as fast as you could pump it up originally.

Fellro

Staff member
I've done that a few times with others as well. Might be just a piece of crap hanging it open just a little.

Ford Truck Articles