Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How to get stuck rings out of a piston?

Fellro

Staff member
This is the second and last one that I have this issue with on this engine, last one I put on the stove top and cooked it until I was able to get the carbon and varnish to release enough to get the rings out, although in pieces. That is no issue.. However, this one, the top ring isn't coming loose at all. Almost have the second ring out, but the top isn't giving at all. Been keeping it in a water/detergent bath, but might have to let it get dry I guess to get it hot enough. Any other ideas?

While I am at it, how about stuck motors? I have one I might try to save, but the plugs have been out for years, and it is sitting out side. Any way to clean the rust out enough to get the pistons out? If the block has to be bored, that can be done, but have to get the pistons to move.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I've used liquid wrench (not the aerosol)

Fellro

Staff member
Got the piston rings... A nice soaking of Purple Power degreaser and a little more cook time, came out, in pieces, but oh well, already had rings for it because of the other piston. These came out of an engine that I had stored for about 15 years, thought it was protected enough to prevent that, guess not. I originally tore it down to change out gaskets, then found more issues. Motor had less than 70,000 miles on it.

The other motor itself is complete, haven't opened it up, but it hasn't been fired for over 30 years or more. It is an old Stovebolt 6 in a 49 grain truck.. I messed with it a long time ago, when it was sitting inside. It got drug outside almost 15 years ago when my sister took over my uncle's farm. I apparently didn't put the plugs back in at the time I was messing with it.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
Oh yeah, I had forgotten the atf/acetone mix... I have several candidates to try it out on... Most still have the spark plugs in them at least.

Fellro

Staff member
I have heard that as well, will have to give it a try.

I've used a friends ultrasonic jewerelly cleaner to clean a motorbike piston before - it worked great and only took a bit over an hour

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Aerokroil is about the best penenatrant oil out there. For trying to free up a stuck motor, get the non aerosol.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts