Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New Project 7.3L

Michigan
Got myself a winter project. Went last monday and picked up a 7.3L motor out of a 96. Guy bought it off a well known diesel performance guy and they took it out of a stock truck to put a 6 oh no in it. Claims it has 140K on the clock.

What i got was, Complete lower end including flywheel and starter, heads, turbo, all the plumbing and main high voltage wire harness. Its a little dirty for now. Missing the fuel bowl (Wont need it anyways) and 4 stock injectors (wont need those anyways)

Plans fer it,

This weekend i want to get it back in the air by hopefully using my cherry picker... We ended up using a john deere to get it out of my box because it was so heavy. And tearing down the rocker arms, take the manifolds off, and unbolt the heads and get it down to a bare shortblock. Going to run presure through all the water jackets and make sure everything is good and clean.

Powerwash the side of the block and degrease, take oil pan, cooler and filter housings off, and give everything a good cleaning. Going to paint it International Harvester high temp red.

Things to buy,

New oil pan
Oil Cooler and all the o rings and housing gaskets
New starter since i have a core
New idler pulleys,
New head gaskets and new factory head studs (or ARP.. Havent decided)
Rebuild turbo (I have a total of 3 extra turbos now) might run twins
Stage II Injectors
01+ Superduty Hpop (High pressure oil pump)
99 Superduty Intercooler spyder
Already have the custom made tubes and 7.3L intercooler
New Water pump
New alt
New A/C compressor
Fluid dampener for the crank

NEW TRANSMISSION!

Those are the main things that are needed... I might even install a propane tank in the box for ummmm cookouts....

Great thing is that i can get this motor done with no rush at all, install the new motor and trans and take my old one out, then go through that one (Only stage I injectors and a couple other things) but not as extreme. If the good motor blows or does whatever it feels to do then i can put the old motor back in.

Il get some pictures tomorrow nite with the camera... Il upload one of it in my box from my phone here inna bit!

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
So I guess I'll ask the obvious question... What the heck is wrong with your current motor?

i guess nothing.. i guess he just want a bad *** 7.3 with twins on it :) something like these ones

Michigan
Im doin the mods that ive always wanted to do.. I have a motor to take my time, when i get extra money i can gradually put it into the motor. When the time comes and its all done, i can put it in my truck. Meanwhile still driving my truck. The motor in my truck is perfectly fine. Im 20, born march 20th 1989

Hey Mike, I can't wait for the reports on her when ya got-r-did!!!

Michigan
Thanks goose. Yea imma be out in the barn late tonight workin on it.. Was going to do that last night but i had a little fun mud boggin lol

Michigan
Woohooo!

Finally tore into her. Took all the front drive accessories and water pump off, Turbo is off, IRC is off, all the injectors glow plugs rocker arms and pushrods are out and bagged. Just got to take off and mark a few more oil lines going into the heads and il be taking those off probably tomorrow.

Block just has the motor mounts, oil cooler and filter housings, and starter on it and il take all those off. Tape off and powerwash the whole thing, already have good engine paint for it and she will be lookin perty in no time!

100_6258.jpg

100_6260.jpg

100_6259.jpg

Michigan
Surprisingly the cherry picker handles it great! Im gonna pull the heads off with it laying on the tire, then put the block and everything on a engine stand once i shed about 200 lbs from the heads.

Ford Truck Articles