Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Injector stiction

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
FYI their is a product out on the market now that can possibly address injector stiction. It is called HotShot Secrect addative. It was developed and tested extensively to do one thing and one thing only, fix sticky injectors in the 6.0 engine. I have personally spoken to the president of the company and had a rather lenghty discussion with him on how the product came to be. It has been verified to have an 86% success rate at fixing bum injectors due to stiction. www.lubricationspecialties.com is the company that came up with it. So for anyone here with a 6.0 out of warranty, you might give this product a try. Several people are testing it now and I am hopeful of the results.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Cool! I never have been an advocate of "miracle cures", but if this one works, I too will push it. The prohibitive costs of injector replacements, make that very attractive.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Ryan, I was VERY skeptical of that as being some sort of snake oil and didn't really read much about it, but, since YOU looked it over and talked to the guy, I decided to give it a try for mine. The cost of replacing injectors is very high, especially when they are custom jobs from Bean's!! I bought a six pack. :) I'll try and post up what I think. Currently, I have to keep her plugged in even in the warm weather because she's a bit hard to start. Can't wait to see if this stuff helps out.
Thanks!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I wait with baited breath as to all testing results!!!

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Well, not to slam you Jeff, but Tim and I both told you 3 years ago that bypass filtration systems work. For almost 60K miles you swore up and down you would not use anything else but motorcraft oil. You might just give this stuff a chance to see if it pans out before being a sceptic, only to jump on the bandwagon later. :cooldude:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Well, not to slam you Jeff, but Tim and I both told you 3 years ago that bypass filtration systems work. For almost 60K miles you swore up and down you would not use anything else but motorcraft oil. You might just give this stuff a chance to see if it pans out before being a sceptic, only to jump on the bandwagon later. :cooldude:

No slam taken.... however, the only reason I went with the Racor by-pass system is the deal theygave me due to my relationship with them... otherwise, the only improvement over stock Racor full-flow filters is a .2 drop in soot/insoluable levels only. Since I change oil and full-flow filter every 5,000 miles, my oil still has plenty of add-pack left in it. If not for the "deal" I got, frequent oil changes and Racor oil filters are the way to go and with the several hundred saved without a by-pass, one can even do more frequent changes (and that is if they keep their truck for more than just a few years).

As far as the Motorcraft oil, if I was living in a warm weather climate, I would still be using. For 60,000 miles I had only GREAT oil analysis results from the Motorcraft 15W-40 CI4+ rated oil and switched to Rotella-Syn 5W-40 for better winter cold starts. I am not one to switch oils and grades, so I have chosen to stay with Rotella-Syn 5W-40 year-round and still get excellent oil reports from Blackstone. Even Blackstone doesn't really promote synthetic over convential oil when you speak to them or on their website.. especially when one changes often... but I use Rotella-Syn and still change every 5,000 miles... and know that there is nothing more I can do to keep my truck running well... that's me.

As far as the hotshot additive, hey if it works great, but it appears that using synthetic oils also helps or prevents it??? Wonder what kind of "cleaner" is in it to remove "stiction/coking" from the injectors??? WOnder if you have to use it all the time or just once... but what prevents it from coming back?

I believe that "stiction" is caused by:

1) Design of injector?

2) Oil of the wrong viscosity or grade?

3) Oil not changed out on time?

4) Need of injector for a "slicker oil" like synthetic oils?

5) Convential oils "coking" due to high heat and pressure of high-pressure system?

But hey... if it works great... but there is so much debate on fuel additives and which one gives the best mileage, power, less smoke and the like... that it is so "subjective" at best. Heck, maybe some of the injector stiction is caused by the lack of fuel additives and lubricity???

Guess I am lucky that all is well at 96,000 miles!!!!

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Jeff, from what Chris told me was that the way to stop injector stiction all together is to install a bypass filtration system. The ferquency of oil changes is directly related to the issue. Not all oils are created equally, and not even brand to brand, batch to batch, as all base stocks are traded just like crude and natural gas between refiners and blenders. The common denominator that Chris points to is the design of the High Presure oil system itself. The fact that it does not contain a filter, it basicly sends dirty oil from the pan directly into the injectors. The dirtier the oil, the more soot and junk you are subjecting the oil side of the injectors to. He also noted that people/fleets that did use synthetic, from jus tafter break in were not having any issues with stiction. The Hotshot Secret is designed to clean the injectors and get them working. Only staying on top of the maintenace will keep them freed up.

You are exactly correct with the Fuel addatives being subjective. However, you and I both know that those who run addative every tankful in a 6.0 don't have fuel system issues.

I will say this, Chris is very open and honest and is really not trying to sell a product that is untested. He has a few marketing issues as to the nature of how the product was developed. He has told people again and again that if your truck does not display signs of injector stiction, DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT. It was strictly tested on vehicles that IH or Ford computers wee indicating bad injectors on. 86% of the time it worked. For $50 it is a very good gamble, and if works may save a person several hundred to several thousand dollars when they are out of warranty.

I am going to try some of his oil and bypass filtration kit to see if extended drain intervals are possible. The synthetic he sells is quite different than the off the shelf brands. The proof will be in the oil analysis reports. I will say this he is getting some very serious extended drain intervals from stationary diesel engines runing in severe duty applications. As well as some OTR trucks. I wont give specifics as to mis quote him, however from my math it will be cheaper than running conventional oil if it makes it 25K to 30k. (Some of the oil in class 8 engines was making it 40-50K)

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Jeff, from what Chris told me was that the way to stop injector stiction all together is to install a bypass filtration system. The ferquency of oil changes is directly related to the issue. Not all oils are created equally, and not even brand to brand, batch to batch, as all base stocks are traded just like crude and natural gas between refiners and blenders. The common denominator that Chris points to is the design of the High Presure oil system itself. The fact that it does not contain a filter, it basicly sends dirty oil from the pan directly into the injectors. The dirtier the oil, the more soot and junk you are subjecting the oil side of the injectors to. He also noted that people/fleets that did use synthetic, from jus tafter break in were not having any issues with stiction. The Hotshot Secret is designed to clean the injectors and get them working. Only staying on top of the maintenace will keep them freed up.

You are exactly correct with the Fuel addatives being subjective. However, you and I both know that those who run addative every tankful in a 6.0 don't have fuel system issues.

I will say this, Chris is very open and honest and is really not trying to sell a product that is untested. He has a few marketing issues as to the nature of how the product was developed. He has told people again and again that if your truck does not display signs of injector stiction, DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT. It was strictly tested on vehicles that IH or Ford computers wee indicating bad injectors on. 86% of the time it worked. For $50 it is a very good gamble, and if works may save a person several hundred to several thousand dollars when they are out of warranty.

I am going to try some of his oil and bypass filtration kit to see if extended drain intervals are possible. The synthetic he sells is quite different than the off the shelf brands. The proof will be in the oil analysis reports. I will say this he is getting some very serious extended drain intervals from stationary diesel engines runing in severe duty applications. As well as some OTR trucks. I wont give specifics as to mis quote him, however from my math it will be cheaper than running conventional oil if it makes it 25K to 30k. (Some of the oil in class 8 engines was making it 40-50K)

I was told the same thing about the oil int he pan being fed directly into the HOP system and injector. To add a filter would mean a potential way to "starve" the injectors for oil if it clogged or got dirty!!! Again... we are back to clean fresh oil is the way and extended oil drains are not in the 6.0L PSD best interest... no matter what brand of oil is used.

As far as their line of synthetic oils and their experience in Class 8 trucks... big difference!!! A class 8 truck's motor is different set-up, runs at different temps and is constantly at operating temps for long periods of time. My guy at Racor told me in the past that extended oil drains on a "big-rig" does not translate to "extended oil drains" in a medium duty truck. Some things can be taken as simular, but even Blackstone Labs will tell you that the same oil in a 7.3L PSD versus a 6.0L is different and when compared to a Cummins and a Duramaz... it IS different.

Each motor operates differently and uses the oil in different ways for lubrication and/or for injector firing.

Thanks for the advice and insight... since I know you from the boards, I value your input and advice and that it is not just "hear-say".

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member

Ryan,

I purchased a jug yesterday and will install upon arrival.

Not sure if I will leave in for the full 5,000 miles or wait and just do it for the last 1,000 - 2,000 miles????

May just put in and leave it....

Chris seemd very nice and "open" to all my inquiries... guess we will find out if I take advantage of the money back guarentee.

So there Ryan... you shamed me into it as I do not want to be left behind a again!!!!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Just added the 2qts today and will see what happens???

I will be leaving in 3,000 - 4,000 miles as this is when my next oil change is due (can't remember exact mileage without looking).

Thank goodness for the Fumoto valve (makes draining 1qt at a time into a 1qt oil bottle very easy). Drain 2-qts and add the 2-qts of Hotshot Secret!!!

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Glad you are giving it a try Jeff. God knows I have thrown away more than $50 in my lifetime for nothing in return. Hopefully you will be one of the 86%ers. If you went with the full dose. I would say if you don't see a noticeable improvement by 2500-3000K miles, go ahead and change the oil, as it will never happen. Chris did say that 99% of the 86% were cured by 1000k miles or less if it was going to happen. He also recomended using the cheapest oil (ci4 or ci4+) that you could find, as it was going to fill it full of junk anyways, why waste money on a syn or high dollar con. oil change with the additive.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Glad you are giving it a try Jeff. God knows I have thrown away more than $50 in my lifetime for nothing in return. Hopefully you will be one of the 86%ers. If you went with the full dose. I would say if you don't see a noticeable improvement by 2500-3000K miles, go ahead and change the oil, as it will never happen. Chris did say that 99% of the 86% were cured by 1000k miles or less if it was going to happen. He also recomended using the cheapest oil (ci4 or ci4+) that you could find, as it was going to fill it full of junk anyways, why waste money on a syn or high dollar con. oil change with the additive.

Keep in mind I do not believe that I had any stiction as my truck is running smoothly to begin with. SInce I lost 1mpg (maybe ULSD doing it) and I have 98,000 miles on the truck, I figured I may have some coking or varnish... so why not???

As far as "loose particles"... I hope not. I would expect large ones to be collected by the full-flow filter... and hopefully my Racor by-pass will do it thing as well (lower micron rating).

I will leave in until my next oil change and change both the full-flow and by-pass filters and start with 100% fresh oil and see if anything is any different???

For me... it was to be more preventative maintinance than reactionary maintinance.

Thanks,

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Just received my Blackstone oil analysis report after using the Hotshot oil additive for 4,000+ miles in my 5,000 mile oil. I change my oil every 5,000 miles and added the additive just after I last changed it.

I was not experiencing any problems and just wanted to test the product to see if it would help, or at least clean up my motor due to the mileage I have on it. I also run a Racor oil by-pass filter so my soot levels should be low anyways, and if the "Hotshot Additive" loosened anything up, hopefully it would be filtered by the full-flow and by-pass filters?

Here is a copy of my Blackstone report after using the Hotshot additive. The only value that is way up is the Molybdenum (my average is 3 but this sample shows it as a 19). All other values were perfect and close to my prior sample values. The oil sheared down in viscosity just like all prior samples as well. I experienced no good or bad effects of using this additive, but due feel it must have cleaned my turbo bearings and my injectors... but again I use synthetic 5W-40 motor oil, which should be cleaner than conventional oil anyways???

If someone has injector issues... I say "use it" as my oil reports shows... no abnormal wear or issues were found and the bottle of "Hotshot" is cheaper than a new injector(s). A user would risk nothing to use this additive... in my opinion and due to this excellent looking oil analysis report!!!!!!

What I failed to due was save a virgin sample of the additive and send it in for analysis so I could compare (virgin to actual usage). From what I can see, only the Molybdenum is the biggest difference? Was also surprised that the other "cleaners" and "agents" were not found, unless Blacsktone would have to test for and know what to look for in order to test it???

Here is my actual report.....

Attachments

• Blackstone Report - 101,627.jpg
Last edited by a moderator:

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Hiding and watching with GREAT interest...........I myself change the oil in my 6.0 every 3000 miles, as often I pull my trailer to work............

Got about 48K on my truck so far, and had no problems that weren't dealer (who will remain nameless, and for my part, buisnessless) induced..........

Gunner

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts