Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear differential fluid. What to use.

Working on a 2001 F150. Drained the rear diff to replace axle seals. Has the 9.5 inch ring gear with "positraction". The tag on the diff says to use 75w-140 synthetic fluid. My question is... do I need to add friction modifyer?

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
People will be offended that you used the p word (positraction) when refering to a Ford.

Ford calls theirs Traction-Lok, or just plain old Limited Slip.

And IIRC it requires an additive. Don't know what kind exactly though, someone here will know.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
A ford limited slip does require friction modifiers but some gear lubes have it already (it'll say so on the bottle). I used a redline gear oil in my 95 and worked great with no modifications-- no chattering or other strange behavior.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yeah, use a friction modifier. Hopefully you dont already have any vibration while turning. If so, you'll need clutches.

Dieter621

Dieter621
NJ
Rear diif fluid

I have an 03 F150 , 6 cyl. that had a vibration when I turned from a dead stop. This drove me crazy because I could not pin down the cause because it only happened when I turned from a dead stop. A Ford Tech online advised me to empty and refilled with the friction modifier added. He recommended after that to take it out and do some figure eights. That was 65K miles ago and I hope to put on another 100K. Good luck, I hope this works for you.

Ford Truck Articles