Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power Steering Fluid/Hydraboost - In-Line Filter Install

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Can one of the Ford techs confirm the following:

1) Does p/s fluid always flow from the hydra boost (all the time) or only when the brake is applied?

2) Would this in-line filter be better utilized if it were installed on the 3/8" line comming from the steering box return line?

The reason I ask is that I thought fluid was always running through the hydraboost return line and on a different forum site a poster said it doesn't (when he flushed his p/s fluid before installing).

Just curious if I should move my in-line filter from the hydraboost to the steering box return line for maximum fluid flow and filtering????

Thanks,

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Here is an interesting TSB (old, but just found it) about adding an in-line filter to the P/S hydra boost line.

No idea what kind of filter it is or if it is the same one I added... but here is the TSB.

2003-07 trucks grabbing brakes, pedal kickback:
This may be caused by power steering fluid contamination in the hydroboost system. There is a procedure for installing a temporary filter between the power steering pump and cooler to clean the system. After the cleaning procedure is complete and no brake grabbing or excessive steering effort is felt, remove and discard the filter. If brake grabbing continues, replace the hydroboost unit. Filter P/N XC3Z-7B155-BA;
TSB# 99-25-8, 7-11-10

blacksnapon

Staff member
Pretty much anywhere you install the filter in that system (other than high pressure sides) will filter the fluid. Its kind of like the coolant filters, installed in a low importance area.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Pretty much anywhere you install the filter in that system (other than high pressure sides) will filter the fluid. Its kind of like the coolant filters, installed in a low importance area.

Vince,

What is the fluid flow through the hydraboost line versus the return line into the p/s resorvoir? Is the hydraboost line always flowing or only when the brakes are applied? Is the flow so little that it is better than none, but the p/s return line would be a better option for more filtering flow?

I've been wondering what/how to do this install from FTE, thankfully
I happened to find this thread on this forum and joined 'cause of this
POST.

beachbum... smilieFordlogo You rock dude!!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I've been wondering what/how to do this install from FTE, thankfully
I happened to find this thread on this forum and joined 'cause of this
POST.

beachbum... smilieFordlogo You rock dude!!!

Thanks... good luck with the install and hope the pictures help.

Having the filter in place can only help and never hurts.

Once a year I suck out the 1QT of ATF fluid in the P/S resovoir and change the in-line filter... and all is good (in my mind that is). The initial install I changed the P/S fluid once every few days and figured I changed out the fluid and/or the filter got most of the "stuff"... the initial install cost me 1 gallon of Mercon (single spec) fluid and 1 filter (which I left in for 1 month)... then I installed a fresh filter and let it go for one year.

Enjoy.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Vince,

What is the fluid flow through the hydraboost line versus the return line into the p/s resorvoir? Is the hydraboost line always flowing or only when the brakes are applied? Is the flow so little that it is better than none, but the p/s return line would be a better option for more filtering flow?
Got to be careful with the newer models tapping in close to the hydroboost . Press the brakes hard or turn the steering wheel, and you're looking at 7500,8000 psi.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Got to be careful with the newer models tapping in close to the hydroboost . Press the brakes hard or turn the steering wheel, and you're looking at 7500,8000 psi.

Wow... I guess I need to buy an "aftermarket tuner" so I can bump up that pressure to more.... "right... more is better"???

I guess if 7500psi is good.... maybe some tuner company could push that to 20,000psi and get me more hydraboost for my steering and braking!!!!

Just kidding guys... but now that Vince stated what he did, there will be those that will want or need to boost that pressure in order to get some performace gain out of their truck. If 7,500psi is good... then 10,000 - 20,000psi must better!!!!

smilieFordlogo :hammer: smilieFordlogo :hammer: smilieFordlogo

Installing the filter would restrict the fluid flow. Not sure how much but it will.... any ideas?
I want to do this but I dont know how much this will effect fluid flow.

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Installing the filter would restrict the fluid flow. Not sure how much but it will.... any ideas?
I want to do this but I dont know how much this will effect fluid flow.

Have never had an issue with my in-line P/S filter (Magnafine).

It has a filter and a magnet in it... but it also has a relief valve if the filter plugs up... so there is never a loss of fluid flow.

I would install as many have with no ill-effects (none ever reported that I know of on this site and others).

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts