Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Heat goes hot and cold, mechanic doesn't know what's wrong

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, i have been having some problems with my heat and anti-freeze overflowing out my resevoir now for about a month.
I have a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT with about 60,000 miles on it. I originally took it in because the heat would only work about 50% of the time.
The water was really dirty so i thought that was it. They flushed it real good and i brought it home. Next day there is fluid on my garage floor. I took it back and they said it was leaking from the radiator, so they replaced the radiator, another flush cause my block is making my water dirty. They stated i was good to go.
3 weeks go by and my heat still only works 50% of the time. When it works, it works great, gets real hot. Also, in the 3 weeks time, when i shut it off water will push out through the resevoir and leak all over my garage floor.
So i take it back in for another appt., they did another pressure check over night and said pressure is freakin great. They replaced the thermostat, 2nd one in 2 yrs. time, new radiator cap. After all this, same problems.
They told me they do not know what is wrong.
So, i drive it home only to have heat for about 5 minutes, turned cold, pulled in my garage, turned it off and again fluid pushing out through the resevoir on my freakin floor!
Someone PLEASE HELP ME! This **** is driving me crazy!

blacksnapon

Staff member
I'm assuming its a 4.0. They have a real problem getting all of the air out of the coolant system. Try removing a heater hose from the heater core, then fill the coolant system. The heater core is the highest point in the coolant system and this will assure no air in it.

its a 3.0 if that matters any. Don't know if they tried removing the hose from the heater core or not, i will relay that info. Thanks.

if you sill have this issue try pulling of the heater feed and retun lines from the block use an air compressior and blow threw the feed line but only in short burst and try to to exceed 120 psi so not to harm the core onece you do this blow it back threw the return line in the same manner just make shure u have the line ur not blowing threw in a bucket with a rag over the top with some one holding it to keep from takein a nasty shower lol..........if this dont help there should be a realy under the pass side kick pannel check if it is bad thiss all suff ive traie and had work on dodge and jeeps.....but worth a try any ways

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts