Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

K/N CAI or Filter only

I've got a 5.4 and would like to let 'er breath a little easier . I have a cold air intake priced around $300+ or a filter for $30 . I can gain about 10.9 hp with the cai . No hp rating available for filter alone. My question is should I go with a complete cai or just a filter swap. Will I see a big difference in hp ,mileage between one or the other.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
If you mod your intake our stock filter is a cone. you are better off getting the box filter and modding your box a little. If you need pics I MAY still have mine laying around from before the blower swap.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
IMO...most CAI kits are snake oil. Proper routing is more key than the coin you drop on a kit. Most of what I have seen simply draws the hot air from under the hood in, and does more harm than good. You won't 'feel' a 10hp gain, and depending on how old and nasty your current filter is, you stand to gain a few ponies and could see your mpg's drastically jump.

Pony Hauler

Delaware Chapter member
Here is the system on put on my truck. I like it better than a CAI. It draws air from behind the headlight.

400-740-LG.jpg

This uses the stock air box

Thank you Gentlemen for your help on this issue. My head is just full of ideas. I think I'll take my 300+ dollars and invest in some "dress up" , maybe some daylighters or new push bar ! Thanks again for the info!

Ford Truck Articles