Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1966 f-100 problem

I have a 1966 F-100 that has three on the tree. My problem is that when I try to backup the whole truck jumps and makes it almost impossible to backup. The truck does fine in forward gears. I just installed a new clutch,Pressure Plate , and throw out bearing but it didn't help. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have a 1966 F-100 that has three on the tree. My problem is that when I try to backup the whole truck jumps and makes it almost impossible to backup. The truck does fine in forward gears. I just installed a new clutch,Pressure Plate , and throw out bearing but it didn't help. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I think I would check out the mounts and rear end attaching points. In reverse, everything is torqueing in a different direction.

Fellro

Staff member
That definitely sounds plausible, another thing to look at may be the brakes as well, if they are hanging up while backing may do something like that as well. If the shoes are binding, like say one of the retaining pins broke or came loose, they may grab.

econo61

head pervert
okla
just went through this with a buddies truck, right motor mount was bad, trans mount was loose, and it had done it so long the tranny had given up too.

Thanks blacksnapon

I installed a different set of rear springs just to make sure but still have the problem. The truck did the same before and after.I also have a 1997 F-150 that had a transfer case problem and took it to a tranny tech. I told him about the 66 problem and he said it was a clutch problem. I am stumped. It has a new cLutch kit.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
How many miles have you put on the new clutch? I had one that did the same thing for about the first 500 miles. I just figured it was breaking in. I never tried to trouble shoot it and it went away.

Fellro

Staff member
A thought... who did the clutch install? Is it possible they didn't follow cleanliness protocol, and got some grease on the clutch? That would sure make for some issues...

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
ok this my sound retarded but. here it goes

My buddys 86 chevy when put in reverse. the idle would drop causing it to hop when it was just above idle. so when he would give it a little gas or let it coast.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I had a 66 F100 short bed step side 6 cyl 3 on the tree, did the same thing was a pain. Ended up selling it before doing anything with the truck. Had a 66 F250 4spd 390 no problems. May I suggest checking the ring gear, I know it has a 9" in it but I have seen the rings crack or bolts break. Just a thought.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts