Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What have you done to your 351M/400

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright now...gonna try to liven up this section a little bit. I'm just wondering what you guys have done or plan to do to your 351M/400. I realize most folks regard these engines as boat anchors and swap to a 460, but I love them with a passion. I'm also looking for ideas for the engine build in my Bronco.

Here are the specs on Red's 400:

Holley 4150 650 cfm electric choke vac secondaries
Eddy Performer Intake
.030 overbore and hypertuetic step dish pistons
XE262 Comp Cam
Sanderson FC3 Headers
True Duals...2.25" pipe through 12" Cherry Bombs

Dyno numbers= 347hp/442tq

Future plans call for a Barnett 496 stroker, CHI 3v heads, Holley 4150 850cfm, offenhauser intake...that would be 550+hp/600+tq on premium fuel

Here are the probable specs on the Bronco's 351M build to be done by Easter:

Holley 4150 650cfm
Eddy Performer intake
.040 overbore and TMI pistons
XE256 Comp Cam
Hooker Headers
TMI 400 crank
True Duals...2.5" pipe through 8" Cherry Bombs

Desktop Dyno=342hp/440tq

So please guys, share what you've done or plan to do, and even give me some suggestions.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I'm going to be upgrading to a 351 soon I hope but I want to stroke it out to a 383, I don't understand why so many people don't like the 351/400 engines I think they are great engine and the people who have had them really love them.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Yanked mine out of a Lincoln Contenental that had been sitting in the wooods for 8 years.

After a tune up, oil change and fresh gas, it got transplanted into my flatbed car hauler.

crmotorsports2007_0113002.jpg

2006_0225Image0003.jpg

The car hauler was used for a few years then went to the scrapper. The 400 was once again transplanted, this time in my 66 Scout. It even got headers. :D

0811230003.jpg

0811220001.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Tony...always good to recycle a 400...I love the headers on the corn binder. I've always had a soft spot for IH's...my dad used to have '78 1 ton sitting on 38's when I was a kid...it was a dark purple metallic and it was named the Executioner, he used to show it up in Wisconsin. When he sold it, the guy owner let it rust away.

Another reason I can appreciate a recycled 400 is because I have a 400/C6/205 combo in my 73 Waggy that I let my girlfriend 'wheel. I just feel you can't kill that combo.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Once again Tony....I hate you so much right..
You know i've been thinking about getting a stroker but would a 400 be more then enough engine for a good street truck, i'm looking for the best low end torq with out getting in to larger big blocks..

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
A 400 has plenty of low end grunt. Just replace the retarded stock smog timing set with a new one, set straight up.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
timing set. Timing chain and gears. It's set retarded from the factory for smog reasons.

Hey Tex, you may have it already but rregardless.

http://351cleveland.wetpaint.com/page/Bubba's+M+Block+Workshop?t=anon

You'll have to cut and paste....

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
When work picks up again this spring, I will be putting a 400M in my '77 F-250 4x4, to replace the current 351M that has 300,000 miles and a broken connecting rod.
The 400 will be getting an Edelbrock 4 barrel intake, a set of Flow Tech ceramic coated headers, and a 670 cfm Holley Street Avenger carb.

The old 351M will be getting a 400 crank, a cam that provides better torque, have the heads rebuilt, ported, polished, and shaved, (just a hair) new forged rods and pistons, bored .030 over, Edelbrock 4 barrel intake, 770 cfm Holley Truck Avenger carb, new timing set, and Flow Tech ceramic coated headers.
Not sure what I'm going to put it in yet.
Thinking about putting it in my '77 parts truck, if it doesn't sell by then, and making it a trail rig.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
C'mon fellas, I know there are more guys out there with an M series. Even if all you want to do is get better oil pressure or stop blow by, post what you want your engine to be like.

I feel like the 335 series is commonly overlooked and misunderstood, and we need to get this section going and show the 335 series the love it deserves.

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
C'mon fellas, I know there are more guys out there with an M series. Even if all you want to do is get better oil pressure or stop blow by, post what you want your engine to be like.

I feel like the 335 series is commonly overlooked and misunderstood, and we need to get this section going and show the 335 series the love it deserves.

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid
I'm with you there!
My first vehicle was a '79 Bronco w/ a 351M, and I loved it!
A buddy of mine in upstate New York bought it from me, and drove it until the body was so rusty, that it started falling off of the frame.

He then transplanted the engine into a '79 F-250 4x4 Ranger that he was restoring, and unbelievably, it is still running with over 500,000 miles on it!

He says that he is going to rebuild it this spring though, as it is getting weak and using 2 quarts of oil a month.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Never had a 335 series motor, had friends with them, but never owned one, didn't really see problems with them, its just for the money you could put into them to make power you could put the same into a 460 and make more power...
So that makes since... I dont hate the 335"s by any means.... Not sure what everybody has against them.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Never had a 335 series motor, had friends with them, but never owned one, didn't really see problems with them, its just for the money you could put into them to make power you could put the same into a 460 and make more power...
So that makes since... I dont hate the 335"s by any means.... Not sure what everybody has against them.

Yeah yeah...sure sure, bring that blasphemous talk to the 385 series section...haha. I 100% agree with you though, no replacement for displacement. So I guess the reason I feel so strongly for the 335 series is because I had one in my first truck...Red. And when I gain a connection with a vehicle, I try and keep as much original as possible...now when it comes to engines that to me means, basically just keeping the original block. Another contributing factor for me loving the 335 series is probably out of mere necessity, it's soooooooo hard to find a good donor 460. Now believe you me, if I had a good 460 lying around and a vehicle where I didn't care about originality, the 460 would go in hands down. But the fact of the matter is, in my area, usually the 460's need too much work to get them right, and then build them.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts