Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The 'New' 400

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well boys...Mom finally sent me a couple crappy pics of my new 400. It was only a few miles from my parent's house, so I told my dad to use his best judgement...I'm not so sure about it yet...but Dad says it's better than the pics lead me to believe. Anyway, it's a 93,000 mile engine that came out of a 78 250 4x4 that was sent to the crusher a couple months ago. Dad talked the guy down to $200 (as of now, I think I over paid). I'm pretty excited/anxious to get on it and see what kinda shape the engine is actually in. Lemme know what you think.

New400No2.jpg

New400.jpg

radialarm

Clown of Death!
You can't judge a book by it's cover, Ben!!!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm hopin that's the case Biff...Dad said there were no witness marks from leaks, he said it turned over real smooth, he said the residual oil and antifreeze looked real clean too. So I'm hoping some sanding, a couple coats of Ford Blue and using the best from both engines will give me a good little set up.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Judging by the plug wires, belts and fuel filter, it got regular maintenance. Probably a decent runner.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Judging by the plug wires, belts and fuel filter, it got regular maintenance. Probably a decent runner.

Yeah...I don't think my dad would get me crap...just wish I coulda got him to pull a VC and head...but I have confidence in it...I kinda sorta know the guy and he wouldn't intentionally screw me over...and did say he'd refund me if it was just too bad. But like I said before, he swears by it and said it is a real good runner. So I guess I'll find out when I swap it in 5 weeks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
HAHA...probably looking at more like 250hp Ernie...so maybe they'll fit?????????

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Did your Dad get a chance to look at the plugs Ben?.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Did your Dad get a chance to look at the plugs Ben?.

Yeah...I'm thinkin this may be a case of 'beauty is only skin deep'...I just hope it's not 'ugly straight to the bone'. I think I'll be happy with it. I'm just anxious to get on it to see what I did or did not get myself into. I'm one that always expects the worst but hopes for the best...so I'm probably just gettin it all worked up in my head how bad it could be, and if any good comes from it...then I'll be extremely pleased. Another thing I hesitate about is the fact that this will go in, and then will instantly be put to the test...I sure hope the thing doesn't end up dying on me in the middle of the mountains...but I'll deal with it as it comes.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Hopefully it works out for ya without any catastrophes!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
250?
TMI is putting out nearly 400hp on pump gas :p

Sorry...I couldn't get that good of a score for $200. Maybe I can get an extra 100hp if I throw my Holley, Edelbrock and CompCams stickers on there???????

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Sorry...I couldn't get that good of a score for $200. Maybe I can get an extra 100hp if I throw my Holley, Edelbrock and CompCams stickers on there???????

Don't forget the "go fast" flames...they help as well!:rolling laugh:

radialarm

Clown of Death!
With 93,000 on it I don't think I would put it in without changing the valve stem seals, and that would be a good time to put in a hotter cam, a 4bbl carb, and intake!!!

I might even be tempted to throw in a new oil pump!!!

That's just me though!!!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts