Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Is there a site...

You got a desktop dyno projection???? I got chassis Dyno numbers at 347hp/468tq. I mean your build doesn't sound too crazy, I'd still consider that a mild build. Bore jobs don't do much for power...I mean a .060 bore job is roughly 10-12 cubes...porting and polishing might pick up another 25-30hp. Crank and cam is probably another 50hp. Dunno what balancing will do. Intake and carb...take it or leave it...I don't really consider those to be power adders....well maybe the intake, but the carb definitely isn't...and might add another 20hp tops. So you're looking at 100hp in known upgrades...and lets say the bore job and the help of balancing add another 50hp (pretty high). So you're looking at 150hp tops. Anyone know what a stock 390 put out at the rear wheels and not the flywheel. I figure it'll probably be pretty even numbers...and it's not like the tbird is a lightweight racer.

Well, I know it was rated at 340HP by Ford in 1963 with the factory tripower (3x 2bbl Carburetors), and this intake and carb setup is way better than that one. The other stuff should add alot.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well, I know it was rated at 340HP by Ford in 1963 with the factory tripower (3x 2bbl Carburetors), and this intake and carb setup is way better than that one. The other stuff should add alot.

Right...but the power ratings were different at the time...that's why I asked if anyone knew dyno read outs at the rear wheels and not the flywheel. You may as well take a third off your number...so you're really probably looking at 230hp at the rear wheels. Besides...my engine is in my truck, how you gonna win any races with yours on an engine stand...hahahahaha.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Im not sure about that. The 390 thats going into the Thunderbird is gonna be pretty crazy (its bored, ported, polished, balanced, with a performance crank and cam, with edelbrock tripower intake/carburetors). :D

You want to argue my sig quote? In the 351m400 forum :spank:.

I think Ben got it right, power rating were way different back in the day. 'owned'

You want to argue my sig quote? In the 351m400 forum :spank:.

I think Ben got it right, power rating were way different back in the day. 'owned'

I believe it was from this thread, and sure the power ratings were different, but not substantially so. The only reason I would lose a race is because the engine is in a 6000lb car, behind a CruiseOMatic slushbox, and has a 3.10 rear axle (not sure if it has LS, I need to crawl underneath and read the numbers off of the pumpkin... :p

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I believe it was from this thread, and sure the power ratings were different, but not substantially so. The only reason I would lose a race is because the engine is in a 6000lb car, behind a CruiseOMatic slushbox, and has a 3.10 rear axle (not sure if it has LS, I need to crawl underneath and read the numbers off of the pumpkin... :p

Perfect my truck is right around 6800 pounds with a C6...but seriously, the numbers you posted, you can literally take 30% of that. That's the general rule of thumb and I'd say the first 2 standard deviations would show a +/- 5% change.

Perfect my truck is right around 6800 pounds with a C6...but seriously, the numbers you posted, you can literally take 30% of that. That's the general rule of thumb and I'd say the first 2 standard deviations would show a +/- 5% change.

The numbers that I posted were from a factory engine with the factory 2x 3bbl carburetors. With the edelbrock intake and carbs + the other mods it will probably make upwards of 450hp (by the old system).

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The numbers that I posted were from a factory engine with the factory 2x 3bbl carburetors. With the edelbrock intake and carbs + the other mods it will probably make upwards of 450hp (by the old system).

Right I was just trying to use a more realistic number for comparison with my truck. But if it's 450 at the flywheel after the mods...you're probably looking right around 300-325 rwhp with the 30% reduction. But it doesn't really matter...we're all Ford brethren here...and a rodded out tbird is badazz.

Right I was just trying to use a more realistic number for comparison with my truck. But if it's 450 at the flywheel after the mods...you're probably looking right around 300-325 rwhp with the 30% reduction. But it doesn't really matter...we're all Ford brethren here...and a rodded out tbird is badazz.

Hell yeah. Especially with everything else original or restored. Its a sleeper. :)

Photos in this album: http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/Raptor2253/Thunderbird/

I never meant to have an argument. :p

Just a discussion. :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts